News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke unit and max width of new K-27

Started by MAELLIS, September 16, 2007, 03:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAELLIS

Hello, like many others I will be ordering one or two of the new K-27's.
The long wait is finally nearly over !

I can't remember seeing any info. on a smoke unit. Will there be one fitted and if so will it work better than the ones in the connie and the climax ?

Also how wide will the K-27 be ? I've estimated 6-1/2" is this correct ?

Martin Ellis,  Norway

bobgrosh

Oh, yea! And how much current will it draw? Will it chuff? Have a fan?

the Bach-man

Dear Martin,
I believe it has a smoke unit. I don't have the model here to measure, but it will be scale width.
Bob, I don't think so...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Engineer1876

What length of turntable is going to be needed for this locomotive?

japasha

Width of the locomotive should be about five inches. The turntable should be in the range of 38.5 inches to match those at Durango and Gunnison. That's sixty five feet in scale. sixty feet will work, that's 36 inches or so.

As I've said before, this is not a small locomotive in scale. Think about a standard gauge Mikado's size in 1:20.3

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Engineer1876 on September 18, 2007, 01:33:07 AM
What length of turntable is going to be needed for this locomotive?
I was just looking this stuff up last night, in answer to a different question...

K-27 - 58' 10" length, 9' 6" wide (over cylinders), 62" boiler dia,
K-28 - 62' 10" length, 10' 5" wide, 65" boiler dia.
K-36 - 68' 1" length, 10' 5" wide, 72" boiler dia.
K-37 - 65' 3" length (loco nominally the same length, shorter tender), 10' 5" wide, 74" boiler dia.
source - "Rio Grande Narrow Gauge" by John Norwood

So, for a K-27, you'd need a turntable of at least 53' or so to accommodate the wheelbase, allowing for 3' overhang from the pilot truck and rearmost tender axle. That's about 31.5" long. I'd go longer, just in case a K-36 comes out. 37 or 38" should give you plenty of room for that.

But then Bachmann will bring out the Sumpter Valley articulateds, and...

Later,

K

Engineer1876

Well I have done built mine and it is 32".

Matthew (OV)

Quote from: Kevin Strong on September 18, 2007, 10:44:33 AM

Later,

K

RAWRR!  Now you're talking!  Of course, you mean right after the EBT Mikado, don'cha?

I'm just glad the dawn of the large locomotives is nearly here.  I've already got the overwide overlong turntable just for this particular one... and any large cousins that may follow.

(I just hope I get all these hoppers relettered first!)

Matthew (OV)

PS.  While we're talking about it ... were turntables generally built to accomodate the width of the locomotive, or that plus a walkway on one or both sides for use while the locomotive was actually on the table... or was it a "will not clear man on side of car" situation?

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Matthew (OV) on September 18, 2007, 11:35:14 PM
Quote from: Kevin Strong on September 18, 2007, 10:44:33 AM

RAWRR!  Now you're talking!  Of course, you mean right after the EBT Mikado, don'cha?
Of course. But you gotta admit--a SV (or even the Uintah version of the same (tanks,  no tender) would be an awesome sight in 1:20.3. Now THAT would push the clearances (and still make it around a 5' radius--which would be actually be scale for those locos!).

Quote from: Matthew (OV) on September 18, 2007, 11:35:14 PM
While we're talking about it ... were turntables generally built to accomodate the width of the locomotive, or that plus a walkway on one or both sides for use while the locomotive was actually on the table... or was it a "will not clear man on side of car" situation?
Logic would dictate that there be room to walk along the side, though how much is not as simple to answer. For years, the decking on the EBT's turntable was off a bit off center. One side extended 5' from the rail, one side 6'. I don't know if they changed that when they redecked the turntable a few years ago.

Later,

K