Compatibility Lionel Track & BBW Engine

Started by djd1949, December 26, 2013, 12:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djd1949

Just purchased a Bachman Engine but we have all Lionel track and transformer.  The train barely runs. and stops after a brief moment.  The Transformers light flashes the whole time the train is on the track if on.  I was told that it would work by Trainworld.   What's really wrong

Rooky Train lover

GG1onFordsDTandI

??? We need to know- Which transformer exactly, which engine exactly, and type of track. Whats new or used. If you don't know, better descriptions and photos would help (you cant download direct from your PC, you must use an online IMG file site like photo-bucket, copy/paste IMG file into post).
I suspect an undersized/old and/or in need of service transformer, but it could be the engine, or track. Do you have access to a multimeter? Are the tracks, and connections clean? New or old track? Pins firm, or tabs contacting correctly? If you apply power with no engine, any light issues? If so check the center rail cardboard insulators on old track, wires/tabs on new track. Recheck your wiring too. Neat? Without frays?
If its an old transformer the contact rollers may be bad(semi-easy fix), this can lead to heat destruction of arms, and sawing of transformer windings. If its new age, its likely just undersized. I find the power of smaller new age transformers pushed by most, totally inadequate. When it comes to power, you seldom if ever hear "I bought too big". 
Any loco diagnosis is best saved till last and with more info from you. Its all pure speculation till then anyhow ;) 

phillyreading

Like GG1 mentions, what size transformer are you using?
Also what type of track are you using? I have found the older tubular track to work best for me, and the older Lionel switches. The other track that works good with Williams is Gargraves track and switches.
For a transformer make sure you are using an 80 watt or larger transformer. A 40 watt transformer won't work well with WBB engines as they are dual motored.

Lee F.

phillyreading

phillyreading

Quote from: djd1949 on December 26, 2013, 12:20:19 AM
Just purchased a Bachman Engine but we have all Lionel track and transformer.  The train barely runs. and stops after a brief moment.  The Transformers light flashes the whole time the train is on the track if on.  I was told that it would work by Trainworld.   What's really wrong

Rooky Train lover

You may find this interesting, Lionel made some DC train sets for O gauge, some time during the 1990's, and you might have one of those. The transformer puts out DC to the track and has a lower watt rating then a CW-40 or powermaster transformer.
To correct your problem you will need a transformer of higher wattage like an Atlas or Williams 80 watt transformer or an MTH Z-1000, a 100 watt transformer.

Lee F.

r0gruth

Quote from: djd1949 on December 26, 2013, 12:20:19 AM

Rooky Train lover

Do other trains work OK on your track?
Is this the only train you have?
What locos and transformers do you use?
Roger