News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3:10 to Yuma

Started by Ross Buchanan, September 17, 2007, 04:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Buchanan

Hi All,

I saw the new version of 3:10 to Yuma the other night. I don't want to start a discussion of the movie here, but the director really tried to get the train right at the end. No Union Pacific K27 in 1870 or similar!

Clever camera work prevented a clear side on view of the locomotive, but it appeared to be a 4-4-0. Lettered as the SPRR "SAVAGE" with dark green cab and tender. There was a yellow painted comine, a coach, a boxcar and a wood caboose lettered for the SP.

The small station building was yellow painted and lettered for the town "Contention"

Whilst I am sure that none of these items was exactly right for the 1870s they were a better attempt than Hollywood usually makes.

I guess that the location was the Old Tuscon depot, and the locomotive was probably "Reno", dressed up yet again for the movies, but can anyone confirm this?

If not, what? where? who? when? how? Enquiring minds want to know.
Cheers, Ross

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

These scenes from the Reader Railroad at Reader, Arkansas were taken December 16 and December 26, 2006 by John Reagon, who gave me (Ken Ziegenbein) permission to put them on this website. The only thing I did was lighten up a few shadows. Mr. Reagon's email address is: john_reagon@hotmail.com

A movie company is using some Reader Railroad rolling stock for a movie being filmed in New Mexico called "3:10 to Yuma," a remake of the famous western. John Reagon said in an email: "Entering Reader (December 26), I noticed they had already put a boxcar on a Tractor Trailer Flatbed, The Coaches are painted in Yellow and Black and have "Southern Pacific" on them. The Steam Locomotive was still in the roundhouse, but under fire building pressure (this was at 10:30 A.M.) They are going run it down the tracks to the old turntable, turn it around and run thru Reader (Old Town Reader) to a "new" siding where they can load it onto a Trailer. The Movie is called "3:10 to Yuma" (a Western Remake) "

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Do I understand that a Reader Railroad locomotive was the steamer in the film?  I went by the Reader back in late summer/early fall, 1965 on my way back from California riding a Triumph TR-6 motorcycle.  At that point it advertized that it was the "last steam railroad in the U.S."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dusten Barefoot

Hey at least the original version of 3:10 to Yuma did not mess with the smoke stack of the train. I was watching Bat Masterson yesterday, and they had a 2-8-2 built for the Santa Fe, It had a so called balloon, or large diamond stack, and 3:10 to yuma did not touch the stack for the b/w version, I was not too pleased when they remade the movie of yuma, I sorta like it when they don't remake a classic, but hey, it sounds like a good movie so far from what I am hearing, is the script the same, no exaggerations with the original? Tweetsie did something similar in the 70s, dressing both WP&Y 2-8-2, and ET&WNC 4-6-0 with a large diamond to make it more western for the park, thank God they lost the fake stacks and put the real ones back on!

Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Ross Buchanan

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm going to have to do a bit of digging about that locomotive.
No, the new movie is not the same as the old. Really not the same film at all. But go see for yourself- for a modern western it isn't bad at all. Some of the modern politically correct Westerns on tv are so bad- They are more like left wing feminist campaign films than entertainment. Nothing against left wing, or femenist, just not as entertainment.

BTW the triumph TR6 is a car, first produced in 1968...

Cheers, Ross

WoundedBear

Quote from: Ross Buchanan on September 20, 2007, 10:19:07 AM

Cheers, Ross

Sorry....but the TR6 designation WAS used for the bikes as well.

http://www.mathewscollection.com/motorcycles/Motorcycle_Triumph_TR6.htm

Sid

Ross Buchanan

Quote from: WoundedBear on September 20, 2007, 10:21:24 AM
Quote from: Ross Buchanan on September 20, 2007, 10:19:07 AM

Cheers, Ross

Sorry....but the TR6 designation WAS used for the bikes as well.

http://www.mathewscollection.com/motorcycles/Motorcycle_Triumph_TR6.htm

Sid

Which is exactly correct, except in Britain it was called the Triumph Trophy 650cc. My apologies. I know a bit about the cars, but nothing about the motorcycles
Humbly, Ross

SteamGene

In the U.S. it was called a Trophy Bird, but the designation was TR-6.  The link takes you to an old one, I believe.  It differed from the Thunderbird in that the T-bird had two carbs and the Trophy had only one.  But it was fast.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"