News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 decapod questions

Started by seanu, September 17, 2007, 02:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanu

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a 4x8 layout for my son. I just picked up a new 2-10-0 decapod on ebay for $49. I've read a few threads here on this engine, but I still have a few questions :

1) How well will this engine handle 18" curves ?
2) How common is the "short circuit" problem ?
3) I am running DC, and I'm wondering if there is a cheap dc compatible sound board for this engine.
4) Can anyone share there procedures for lube and break in.

Thanks for your time!

Sean

SteamGene

1.  It should run okay on 18" radius curves.
2.  I'm not familiar with short curcuits with that locomotive.
3.  I don't know.
4.  Use light, plastic compatable oil and put ONE SMALL drop of oil each place a piece of moving metal touches another piece of metal.  Do NOT try to grease the gears.  Break in by using a wide variety of speeds and include running backwards.  Do not try to run it full speed for the first hour of running or so.  Don't try to see what it will pull for the first hour or so.
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nigel

Quote from: seanu on September 17, 2007, 02:16:29 PM
3) I am running DC, and I'm wondering if there is a cheap dc compatible sound board for this engine.

Sean - define "cheap" - you maybe able to find the awful MRC board for not too much more than you paid for the locomotive.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

seanu

I'd say under $100. Do you know the model number on the MRC? If the bach-mann is reading... can I buy the dcc sound module for this train as an upgrade part?

Thanks for the replies

SteamGene

Seanu
'The Russian Decapod is a locomotive, not a train.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

DUCKY01

Seanu

1. Yes, the 2-10-0 will run on 18" radius, but it would look and run better
      on 22" radius or greater.

2. Shorting problem involves the wheel pick-up wiper rails located under
      the plastic box that secures the driver wheels. The "rails" tend to
      spring up and make contact with the loco's frame, causing a short
      circuit.

3. Don't Know

4. Follow the Bachmann Break-in instructions included with locomotive, or
     run the locomotive (without load-no cars) at various speeds in both
     directions for about a half hour before adding any cars behind the loco.

Frisco_Manny

Quote from: SteamGene on September 18, 2007, 09:41:29 AM
Seanu
'The Russian Decapod is a locomotive, not a train.  :D
Gene

Actually Gene, he is correct. The locomotive by itself is considered a train. The definition of a train is:

A locomotive, with or without cars, displaying markers.

Just a little railroad trivia for ya!  ;D

Manny

SteamGene

No, Manny, the Bachmann steam locomotive tenders do not display markers.  Most of the locomotives have classification lights, but that's not the same as markers.  Go back and review the thread on what constitutes a train. 
A train must have motive power and markers. 
I guess I'm going to have to put markers on the tender of one of my small locomotives so I can run it as a train.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Frisco_Manny

Quote from: SteamGene on September 18, 2007, 05:43:09 PM
No, Manny, the Bachmann steam locomotive tenders do not display markers.  Most of the locomotives have classification lights, but that's not the same as markers.  Go back and review the thread on what constitutes a train. 
A train must have motive power and markers. 
I guess I'm going to have to put markers on the tender of one of my small locomotives so I can run it as a train.
Gene

Hi Gene,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I know this reg because I'm a retired C&O conductor, and a skilled steam locomotive fireman.  Road Foreman of Engines and Trainmaster's love to ask this question.  ;D

A headlight, or white light, under regs is considered a marker. It is all that is needed. Classification lights are extra's. Trailing lights such as lanterns "red" or "green" are also extra's, but are required for different purposes under regulation. All that's needed for a train is a headlight, or the tender's back up light, ie, white light, to be legal.

A red flag by day, red lantern (steam days), or modern FRED's at night displaying a flashing red light serve different purposes under regulation and can be traced back to days of the flagman who needed to huff it out two miles down track with lantern, flag and torpedoes, to effectively protect the train.

If a tender is left without a back-up light, that's usually not correct. I've never seen a tender in real life without a rear light. If a steam locomotive actually did NOT have a rear headlight on the tender, then that train is limited to restricted speed and movement must be protected by a brakeman, conductor, or the fireman (for short distance). The engineer must be ready to stop short of anything impeding his progress safely. I've always wondered why some models didn't have back up lights (Post 1890-1900).

Sorry for the hi-jack...

Manny

seanu

Thanks for the education everyone :) Any more comments about DC sound for this locomotive/engine/train? :o

rogertra

[/quote]

A headlight, or white light, under regs is considered a marker. It is all that is needed. Classification lights are extra's. Trailing lights such as lanterns "red" or "green" are also extra's, but are required for different purposes under regulation. All that's needed for a train is a headlight, or the tender's back up light, ie, white light, to be legal.
[/quote]

Manny.

A headlight may be a "marker" but to be a "train", at least in all the rule books I have, the "train" must display markers.  Markers are the rear lights on the caboose or the EOT on a 2007 train.

Classification lights, as you know but for the others on this group they are the small lights carried on a locomotive, either side of the cab front on diesels or either side of the smokebox on steam,  that display white for extra;  green for a second section or are unlit for a regular (time-tabled) train.  Diesels can usually also display red lights, which then act as markers if the unit is running light engine or working as a helper and pushing a train from the rear.

As for the lack of a headlight/backup light on a tender?  Not sure how common or uncommon they were.  I know that most (All?) Canadian steam carried a small headlight, usually only a six inch diameter lens, for back up purposes,  mounted somewhere on the tender so as to be visible from the ground.

However, many steam locos did not carry markers on the tenders and many didn't even have marker light brackets.  I recall back in the late 1960s/early 1970s riding in the cab of CNR Northern 6218 from Brockville, I think it was, to Montreal and all we had on the tender for "markers", so we could offically be train, "Extra 6218 East", was a red flag stuck in the hole in the coupler knuckle.

SteamGene

I agree with Roger.  The definition itself shows that markers other than a rear light are necessary.  "A locomotive...displaying markers."  If all steam locomotive tenders have a back up light and that's all that is needed, the last two words are redundant. 
I don't like disputing with a person who has worked on a real train, but I also know how the people who do it day by day learn bad habits from those who have gone before.  I'll bet troops in Iraq today mention how many clips they have with them, despite the fact that the last U.S. rifle that fired from a clip was the M-1, which began being replaced in ca 1957.
You need to hang a marker on the rear of the tender to leave the yard limit and be a train.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat