News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Operation problem

Started by duane harm, November 30, 2013, 12:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duane harm

I am a new owner of a Bachman train. I have set the track and checked it. I have slid the engin on the track. I have power to the engin and it is making a chugging sound but won't move. What should I do.
Thank You
Duane

NarrowMinded

With the limited info It's hard to say, if it's a dcc set with the dcc controller press the 3 on the controller and turn the dial.

The fact that you say it chugs but doesn't move would be strange for a  non-dcc unit.

If you still have the problem please post the name of the set or loco and controller
That way we can help you better, the more info the better.

NM-Jeff

Doneldon

Duane-

There are a number of things which may be going on but it's impossible to say which unless you give us more information. What gauge is your train? Am I correct in assuming the loco is a steamer? If so, what is the wheel arrangement? If not, what kind of diesel loco do you have? Do you know if you are running battery, AC, DC or DCC? If so, which? Model of power pack/transformer if that's what you are using? What electrical features, like lights and sounds, does your train have in addition to movement? Last, give us any model numbers (not the numbers painted on the sides of the trains) you have. Thank you.

I know that probably sounds like a ton of questions but the answers will make a real difference in our ability to help.

-- D

Loco Bill Canelos

Try going back over the instructions step by step checking them off as you go so you don't miss anything.  If there is a troubleshooting section go thru that step by step as well. 

If your train is new, take it back to the dealer, if it is used but new to you, still  contact the seller. 

Like the other guy's said tell us exactly what set, what scale, aand we will try to help.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Braxtonfirefighter

My son received a Bachmann train set a few years ago from my parents. We have just moved the set to our house and now it will not operate correctly. We can get it to move a little but then it stops  but if you carefully lift the engine up a little of the track on one end the drive wheels will start but as soon as you set it back on the track it doesn't work. Any suggestions 

NarrowMinded

Braxton,

Please let us know what set it is, some sets have a set of wheels on the front that can get turned around the wrong way which will result in a short, if your loco does have these try placing just the front wheels on the track and apply power, note the rotation of the drive wheels, then try just touch the drive wheels if it runs opposite the truth the front truck around, it may even have an arrow you can look for to point forward, btw,you can use a price of paper under the wheels you want to isolate.

Short of that make sure the wheels and track are cleaned.

Nm-Jeff

jbrock27

Braxton,  when you state "it doesn't work" when you put it back down on the track, does the locomotive
hum or buzz, like it is getting electricity, but not move?  Does it have a headlight or rearlight that lights up, while not moving?  What style/design/model locomotive it is that you are having the problem with?  Do you have any other locomotives that have the same thing happen?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Braxtonfirefighter

Not sure what scale I have but the loco's are as followed. One is a emd f9 diesel made by Bachmann. The other one is Santa Fe made by life like. They both have light and when we run the loco alone it moves around the track which I have cleaned with steel wool then it start to slow down until it comes to a complete stop but you can still hear the motors running  kinda sounds like the trucks have stripped. Also if you put a car or two behind the loco it does the same we have the power supply at full throttle but its hardly moving and you can hear it loud. I'm thinking the drive wheels are stripping out.

jbrock27

So, if I understand you correctly, both locos you have, behave the same way?

I think you could be right on course for figuring out the problem-they get power from the track, but something is not right where the motor drives the gear to turn the wheel.  Do you have the ability to take the plastic  shells off, to be able to run them without the shell on, so you can see what is going on underneath?

Also, try to avoid using steel wool to clean your track bc it can leave bits of the steel wool around, which in turn, can get caught up in places on the locos you don't want it.  To clean your track, you can use: Wahl Clipper oil, isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol (a new one to me-but just be careful of fumes) or a track cleaning block.  With the solvents, use a little on a cotton rag, you don't need to saturate the rag and rub on the top of the rails.  You may also want to follow with a dry rag to clean up residue.

A P.S.-Do you know if these 2 locos are old enough to have had traction tires on their drive wheels?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Braxtonfirefighter

The Bachmann loco has smooth metal  but the other looks like it has a o ring around the wheel. I have been trouble shooting today and it looks like when it is working right and you put cars on it it just spins on the track. I'm taking the whole thing to my local hobby town tomorrow they are thinking that whit the losing power is due to the transformer 

Braxtonfirefighter

But to answer the question on the age. I called Bachmann this morning and they said they stopped making that loco 5 or 6 years ago

Doneldon

firefighter-

I think you may have a damaged drive system. When the wheels work without any load but not with a load you know you have a functional electrical system but the parts between the motor and wheels is broken. I purchased a loco on ebay some years ago which did exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, I just checked to see if the loco would move itself, which it did, but not if it could pull anything so I gave good feedback before I learned the loco was defective. Luckily, Bachmann was able to repair the problem for the usual shipping and handling charge. You might want to consider that.
                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jward

just my opinion here, but you may have learned a hard lesson about steel wool. the metal filings it sheds when used are not good for trains. they can find their way into the motor causing shorts, or find their way into the gears causing all sorts of mechanical problems. the f9 and the lifelike diesels you have most likely only have 4 wheels driven, and, at least in the case of the Bachmann f9, a "pancake" motor mounted on the truck itself, geared directly to the wheels. the motor's magnetic field would attract the metal filings into the gears, causing premature wear.

try cleaning the gears and relubing  them with labelle oil. if this doesn't work you may have to replace the locomotive. the good news is that the newer f7 types run much better than the f9s did, and are pretty inexpensive. I've seen them at the local hobby shop for about $30-40.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Where is duane harm?

Someone hijacked the thread. The OP has a steamer. Might be a large scale loco.

Rich

Braxtonfirefighter

Well have figured out what all is wrong with my loco's. The f9 needs new drive wheels it does have rubber grips that are worn out just don't have anyone in Ms I know of that works on them. The lifelike has a broken gear so it's out of commission. Guess I will be buying a new loco soon. If anyone has any suggestions on where to get it worked on please let me know. Thanks for everyone's help.