News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

need help with harry potter assembly

Started by ygbsm66, December 03, 2013, 03:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ygbsm66

I was given a harry potter train set that wouldnt run. It came in bags completely torn down. i replaced the idler gear which was worn down to nothing and he motor now seems to work fine. My problem is the drive wheel assy was also completely apart. what is the wheel orientation supposed to be from side to side? the plastic axle between each wheel is 4 sided. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Joe

Irbricksceo

I am not 100% sure what you are asking. The six drivers, as I recall, were Identical. If you mean right side to left, as with almost all steam, the Drivers should be Quartered (one side 90 degrees from the other) If you can get it running, you will be very happy, I had one around a decade ago I think and It ran well. The really nice thing about this set? The coaches were very close together, even on 18 inch radius curves and looked very nice, never did figure out how they did that.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Look closely at the drivers. All I have ever seen have a left and right side.
If the drivers are separated, this will be more difficult as you will have to quarter them. Get a Quarter from NWSL or do a Google search about quartering drivers. There are a couple ways to do it without buying a quarterer.This will allow you to develop some mechanical experience.
I did this some years ago with a NWSL Quarterer. I used a C clamp to gently push the driver onto the axle.
You have to support the driver spokes or possibly you will blow out the spokes on the drivers.
As a help, take some pictures and get a Photo Bucket account to post photos here. Since you know how to use a computer, this will help train modeling a lot.

Rich

ygbsm66

thanks for the help. I should have been clearer. the drivers are in a bag with both sides of 3 still connected by the rods to each other but the plastic spacer/axle is not connected to either side. The wheels snap easily into it but im not sure of the orientation of the wheels to each other

Joe

Irbricksceo

Quartered or 90  degrees, in other words, when one side is at the bottom, the other will be pointed to on side, I do not remember which one but operationally it does not matter.
Modeling NYC in N

ygbsm66

Awesome. ill play with it when i get home tonight. On a related note, i see where the replacement valve gear come with the rod that connects to the middle driver. Does anyone know how these come apart?

Joe

Irbricksceo

It is my recollection that on this model, there was no valve gear, the left hand side had a small pin that went in a plastic tube but there should not be valve gear. Where, may I ask, did you get the part? If you didn't know, the Locomotive is ACTUALLY a repainted bachmann branchline Hall class Locomotive. Seen here:

http://www.ehattons.com/21241/Bachmann_Branchline_32_000DC_Class_4900_Hall_4_6_0_5927_Guild_Hall_BR_green_late_crest_Hawksworth_tender_DCC_/StockDetail.aspx

I dont know if you can get branchline parts but that is what the locomotive is, the locomotive shouldn't have valve gear. As for removing it from what you have, I dont know since I have no idea what you bought but it may have small pins or screws.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

No idea if any of these links will help. Bachmann Europe.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/service/assmbly.php

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/bachmann-hall-class-6922-burton-hall-32-006/15743

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43651

A Google search for "bachmann harry potter branchline Hall class Locomotive" brought up links on the other side of the Pond.

Rich

ygbsm66

here is a link to what im talking about,        http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_161&products_id=994

The rod on these valve gears are still attached to my drivers but one is broken and was going to remove it but am not sure how it comes off.

thanks again,

Joe

richg

The resolution of the valve gear photo is not the best. There might be a tiny screw where the rod fits onto the driver pin. What looks like a screw or bolt on that part might be just a casting.
If no screw there, might be a light press fit. Just carefully lift the rod off the pin on the driver. it should be obvious if you look very closely.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Ahh, I see what you mean. Why they labeled it Valve gear is beyond me but that is actually the Main rod and crosshead. Anyway, My memory is that the rod was held on by a press fit pin. As rich said, these can be lifted off, jusst use care.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Quote from: Irbricksceo on December 04, 2013, 08:26:17 PM
Ahh, I see what you mean. Why they labeled it Valve gear is beyond me but that is actually the Main rod and crosshead. Anyway, My memory is that the rod was held on by a press fit pin. As rich said, these can be lifted off, jusst use care.

Lift gently from under the rod. I would not try grabbing the rod anywhere else.

Rich