Started by Polok79, December 05, 2013, 09:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polok79

Recently switched to dcc I have a e-z command control my analog engines
Aren't working the lights come on full blast and the engine makes loud buzz
I have the control on model 10 can't figure it out please help

Doneldon

P79-

Running DC locos on DCC isn't a perfect thing. In fact, it's often harmful to them. That's why your loco is buzzing. The rule of thumb is to keep non-DCC locomotives on a dead siding or roundhouse track when they aren't actually running. Otherwise the motors will burn out. And the high, constant voltage on DCC rails will burn out lights pretty fast, too. That's why your headlight is so bright.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

richg

The buzzing is the AC voltage getting to the motor armature. The voltage is not the issue. The heat that develops when the armature is not turning is the issue. The armature is slightly oscillating at the DCC frequency whne the loco is not moving. Where the two brushes contact the armature segments, heat will develop. With the armature turning, the heat is somewhat dissipated. A few years ago I did some measurements with an infra red temperature scanner. The scanner could pick out this heat spot quite accurately.
I had an MRC2000 DCC controller that would run one DC only loco.
Some armatures seem to be noisier than others. Usually that is because the armature oscillates end to end because of extra space at each end of the armature shaft where the bearings are.
Below is a link that discusses this. Jim Banner use to be a contributor some years ago
The DC motor responds to the stretched zero bit. A DC voltmeter would show DC as well as AC voltage. I did the measurements. My voltmeter would show about 13.6 VAC with varying DC voltage depending on the speed.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

Connect your multimeter to the rails and you will see the about the  same voltage. Most digital multimeters will show this. My four meters show about the same and agree with my Scope.
Some older analog meters with the pointer might show a little higher.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Modeling NYC in N

richg

Glad it helped you.
I have found over the years, a picture is worth a thousand words and can usually explain an issue a lot easier.

Rich