News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

magnets under track

Started by bill collins, December 04, 2013, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill collins

I run all Bachmann 40' stock cars at my farm. The uncoupling doesn't always work when leaving cars on the siding. Any suggestions?

richg

Make sure all the couplers are adjusted to proper specs. With Kadee couplers, I use the height gauge and make sure all the couplers swing freely. The glad hands need to be at a certain height above the magnets. There is a tool sold that helps adjust the glad hands. I figure you must have the McHenry couplers for Bachmann trains.

Rich

Scott1943

I use the Kadee couplers on all of my HO cars.  I am using the Bachmann track.  I could not get the cars to uncouple by placing the magnet under the track, so I placed in between the rails. ::)

Jerrys HO

I have no problem un coupling mine. You have to go real slowand when the coupler moves to the side stop and pull forward.
Hope that helps ya.

Jerry

NuthinDragginOwt

A couple suggestions:
-Just a theory, the Bachmann Magnets might be stronger than Kadee Magnets. I would assume this is to give a little more power when placed under EZ Track, since there is a little more depth when they are glued under the EZ Track roadbed, compared to under the ties on standard track.
-Coupler slack is very important in the operation of uncoupling magnets. Just like on real railroad cars, if the couplers are stretched out, the conductor cannot "pull the pin" to uncouple the car. He will then ask for the pin, in which the engineer will bunch the couplers, allowing for the pin to release. Make sure the couplers of bunched to allow the couple knuckles to easily open.
-If a magnet it placed in, or just outside of, a curve, it can make the difficult to uncouple, or couple for that matter sometimes. Being the self centering action of model train couplers, the knuckles will tend to stay hooked into one another.