News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

usra 0-6-0

Started by nash man, December 21, 2013, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nash man

what is the best way to add traction to a usra 0-6-0 i am having trouble with two areas on my layout that my locomotive starts to spin out then regains traction and moves along again..

jonathan

Nash, you have a couple of choices:

You can take off the shell and add weight like lead, fishing sinkers or the like.  I shape some sinkers and glue them into the domes and stack.

I also remove the smoke coil and fill the oil receptacle with lead... not a fan of smoke units.

The other option is to add "Bull Frog Snot" to one of the driving wheels.  The Snot works, too, but it will reduce electrical pick up.  AND the stuff is expensive.  Despite the advertising, Bull Frog Snot does dry out over time.

I like adding weight better.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Nash-

You might also want to clean the two areas on your track where you are experiencing adhesion problems. Perhaps there is a bit of oil there. When such problems are limited to specific areas the fix is more likely to require attention to those two areas rather than the loco. I would expect loco problems if you are having slipping everywhere.
                                                                                                                                                     -- D