News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel falling off

Started by dheaton, December 05, 2013, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheaton

Hey Jerry what would you call this engine?

Jerrys HO

Oooooolllllldddddd!!!!!!  4-8-4  :D :D :D :D

I'm not a steam guy, but someone on this forum is (how bout it Jonathan)

Irbricksceo

It is a warbaby paint GS-4 Locomotive, they are 4-8-4
Modeling NYC in N

dheaton

Yes it looks allot like the 484 from the images that Jerry linked me to.  It also brings up a parts page but doesn't show how the wheels are supposed to fit on.

Does Bachmann have a lifetime warrantee?  Or is this engine worth getting fixed in your opinion?

Quote from: Irbricksceo on December 05, 2013, 06:17:37 PM
It is a warbaby paint GS-4 Locomotive, they are 4-8-4

Jerrys HO

Bachmann does have a lifetime warranty. If your loco is not able to be fixed they will replace it with one equal or lesser value. It will cost 25.00 plus shipping if you decide to go that route. If you have sentimental value I would see about repairing it first then I would try calling the service dept. or e-mailing them. They are going into their busy season so be patient.

Jerry

dheaton

There are two small screws on the bottom where the wheels are and I took those out but could not figure out how to get the bottom plastic off.  Any thoughts

dheaton

Thanks Hunt.  I did notice that.  By the way what is a DCC?

Quote from: Hunt on December 05, 2013, 06:32:24 PM
Click Here for Bachmann Warranty Information.

Notice it is a Lifetime Limited Warranty not a Lifetime Warranty,

Jerrys HO

QuoteThanks Hunt.  I did notice that.  By the way what is a DCC?

FUN! that's what. DCC Digital Command Control.

http://www.dccwiki.com/Introduction_to_DCC

http://www.awrr.com/dccintro1.html

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm

Great links

Jerry

dheaton

Cool, thanks.  I now know that I have nothing to do with DCC in the things that I have.

Jerrys HO

AC,DC,or DCC doesn't matter as long as you have fun with what you have.
Well I am sure your tired of reading my replies by now so gotta go.
Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry

dheaton

No I am not tired of reading them at all in fact it is quite addicting.  I have been looking on youtube and watched some videos of people putting up shelves in their office close to the cealing and running trains on them.  Cool.  I really do not know what I want to do with all this yet, but once I figure out what it all is and if it works then I will figure it out.  By the way I think I forgot to mention this is all HO stuff.

Doneldon

David-

I see you have an older GS Northern. I though the 4-8-2 was the wheel arrangement.

DCC stands for Digital Command Control. It's the latest (although far from new, now) way to control model trains. With DCC, each locomotive has a unique digital "decoder" which interprets commands from a special kind of controller which sends the commands to the entire train system using a digital address so each decoder responds only to commands for that locomotive. Track voltage is always full on, with the decoders permitting only the chosen voltage through to the loco's motor. The same controller can operate lights and sounds as well, as long as the decoder has the circuitry for those features. Motion decoders all control at least a few lighting functions but only some have sound features.

Conventional HO train control, DC, runs train speed and direction by changing the voltage and polarity of track power. All locomotives on a given track section ("block") move the same direction and at comparable speeds. Operating more than one train requires separating track into electrically isolated blocks and separate "cabs" which control voltage and polarity. This makes for considerable wiring complexity and expense. In essence, one operates the rails, not the locos. DCC changes all that, permitting independent locomotive control on the same track. I've heard people say that DCC runs trains while DC runs rails and I think that's an apt description.
                                                                                                                                                           -- D

dheaton

Good information Don.  So am I correct in thinking that I can add DCC to even an old train set?

Quote from: Doneldon on December 05, 2013, 08:23:11 PM
David-

I see you have an older GS Northern. I though the 4-8-2 was the wheel arrangement.

DCC stands for Digital Command Control. It's the latest (although far from new, now) way to control model trains. With DCC, each locomotive has a unique digital "decoder" which interprets commands from a special kind of controller which sends the commands to the entire train system using a digital address so each decoder responds only to commands for that locomotive. Track voltage is always full on, with the decoders permitting only the chosen voltage through to the loco's motor. The same controller can operate lights and sounds as well, as long as the decoder has the circuitry for those features. Motion decoders all control at least a few lighting functions but only some have sound features.

Conventional HO train control, DC, runs train speed and direction by changing the voltage and polarity of track power. All locomotives on a given track section ("block") move the same direction and at comparable speeds. Operating more than one train requires separating track into electrically isolated blocks and separate "cabs" which control voltage and polarity. This makes for considerable wiring complexity and expense. In essence, one operates the rails, not the locos. DCC changes all that, permitting independent locomotive control on the same track. I've heard people say that DCC runs trains while DC runs rails and I think that's an apt description.
                                                                                                                                                    -- D

dheaton

So here is a link to another post I did into a different thread.  It has photos of some of the things I have found.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,25923.0.html

Doneldon

David-

Yes, you can add DCC to any trains, new or old. At least in theory. Some older models, however, use their
frames for one side of the electrical connections which means the motors have to be electrically isolated
from the frames (it's usually easier to install a can motor), new motor mounts may be needed and lighting
might also require work. Space can be an issue, at least if a sound decoder is used, because there also has
to be a speaker and its enclosure. And, gear trains that seemed to work okay with a low rpm open-frame
motor can be problematic with the new motors.

I'm not trying to discourage you from DCC: indeed, I can't think of a good reason not to use DCC.
And I'm not suggesting that older equipment can't be updated. It certainly can. But some projects are a
lot more work than others.
                                            -- Doneldon