News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel falling off

Started by dheaton, December 05, 2013, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheaton

Thank you don.  I can't believe I am saying this but maybe I will need to purchase a new engine that is DCC ready. :)

rbryce1

I started out that way, first try to convert a 4-6-4 Hudson to DCC was weak at best.  Took a lot of work only to find I spent more money doing the conversion than a new locomotive would have cost and it did not run near as well as a new locomotive does.  Next came sound!  That's a whole different set of challenges to say the least.  

When adding sound to a diesel, it is very difficult to find a space for the speaker and the light system is usually a problem as well. 

Adding sound to a Steam Engine is easier as you can put the card and speaker in the tender, but then you need to either install a plug between the Engine and the Tender or just live with both units being married all the time, as is the case with my 4-6-4 Hudson.  Even converting DCC to DCC/Sound is an extra cost as the DCC Sound Board replaces the DCC Decoder that came in the locomotive to start with.

I have, as a result, decided to only purchase DCC/Sound equipped locomotives.  They may cost a little more up front, but believe me, they wind up being cheaper in the long run.

Stephen D. Richards

dheaton,

One of the best things about this hobby is that it can and should be enjoyed in a multitude of ways!  That being said, I personally like rebuilding and building locomotives, especially older ones.  However, is your GS4 a pancake motor version?  If it is then good parts are very difficult to come by.  Most likely Bachmann will not have them in stock or even able to get them.  If it is a newer type with a can motor, then I would try and order the drive wheel assembly.  I checked with Bachmann website and they are currently sold out.  From experience gluing the axle back into the plastic sleeve on the axle is difficult.  If you try that make sure your timing is correct before the glue is applied for your drive wheels!  Once you find a glue that will adhere, you will not be able to adjust the timing like you can with a good axle sleeve.  Other things may be able to correct this problem as well though.  If you have access to a small mill/lathe, you can make the sleeve and use it as intended, a friction fit.  If it was me, I would send the locomotive and basic cost to Bachmann.  Hope this helps,  Stephen

electrical whiz kid

From how you are posing this, I would suggest you don't fool with it and just contact Bachmann and make arrangements for a repair.  A driver falling off is not to be remedied with super glue...
Rich C.

dheaton

Well I have called Bachmann again.  I hope I get a call back this time.
Thank you everyone for all of your help and support.

Bucksco

During the Christmas season it would be best to call the direct number (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager. You will get a quicker response this way.

dheaton

Great.  Thank you

Quote from: Yardmaster on December 10, 2013, 11:20:29 AM
During the Christmas season it would be best to call the direct number (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager. You will get a quicker response this way.

lirrman

If you try glue, try Gorilla Glue.  Because Gorilla Glue expands it will make a very tight bond because of the enclosed connector.  Don't use too much and cut off any glue that expands out of the connector when it's dry. Don't use too much.  It worked great on a geared Rivarossi driver.  One very important point.  Make sure the wheels are "quartered".  It's not that hard, just be sure all the counterweights on the drivers are in the same position.  Good luck.

Doneldon

David-

Gorilla Glue is a great product. It does expand quite a bit as it cures so be careful how much you use. It forms a strong bond with just about everything it comes into contact with; you won't be able to remove errant glue from anything so use it carefully. It will put dark stains on your skin though I believe they are not harmful. And buy a small container of it because it will go bad a year after opening.

The expansion is remarkably powerful -- strong enough to force itself into wood -- so be sure to clamp your wheels/axles tightly. Don't try to remove the squeeze-out until the glue has cured or you'll wind up with a total mess. Last, don't put the wheels back into the loco until the glue has cured or the squeeze-out might turn all of your drive assembly into one piece.

Please don't interpret my many cautions as a negative review of the product. I've had excellent experience with Gorilla Glue and have some on hand (frequently literally) at all times. I heartily endorse it as long as it is used carefully.
                                                                                                                                            -- Doneldon