New out of the box, but no smoke? What to check first

Started by CTrout, December 05, 2013, 07:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTrout

Finally ordered and received the Night Before Christmas set, been wanting one for quite some time.

Trouble is I can't get the smoke box to work at all.

Checked the forum but was wondering what to check first before working on a brand new unit?

Thanks for any input.

the Bach-man

Dear CT,
Is the smoke unit turned on? The switches are behind the smokebox door.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NarrowMinded

Don't turn the smoke on unless you put oil in the smoke generator,

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

CTrout

Sorry for the incomplete information:

Yes the switch is turned on.

I have not allowed the switch to stay in the on position, DVD instructions are pretty clear on that.

I put the recommended amount of smoke drops into the stack.

Still nothing, sure would like to my Grandchildren to experience the smoke as they have all asked about it.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Loco Bill Canelos

When you say nothing no smoke , I wondered if you were expecting smoke while the locomotive is stopped. The locomotive smoke unit is powered by a heating element which gets hotter the more (speed) voltage is applied.   In some cases it takes a while for the unit to heat up.  Try again using seven drops of smoke fluid, make sure the switch is on and run the locomotive at a fairly fast clip for five minutes, or longer if there is a a lot of smoke fluid in the stack. you should start seeing some whitish smoke coming out of the stack.  There is never a lot of smoke, and as you lower the power and the locomotive slows down the smoke will also be less in volume.   The smoke systems in model locomotives is disappointing to many of us, as it is often sparse and unrealistic, but you should get some.  When you stop the locomotive the smoke will stop as well.

Hopefully this will help!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!