News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trying to start in models trains

Started by newrails, December 05, 2013, 09:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newrails

OK so I'm trying to start a model train set but there seems to be a lot to it can some one please help.
i know i want to use n scale trains. can i just start with one of those ready to run model sets? what can i add to a ready to run model set? and what are the numbers on the name of the locomotivies like 2-8-2?

richg

Look though the online catalog here. There are sets with steamers and diesels. I did not see a 2-8-2 in the steamer list. Maybe in a set. The photos in the catalog show the loco numbers from what I have seen.

Rich

TJ

Albert in N

Really, you should consider visiting an operating N scale layout at a hobby shop, train show, or fellow N scaler.  Also, decide if you want DCC or DC control.  Coupler compatibility is a concern, since there are many older N scale items with Rapido (standard N) ugly couplers that do NOT interface with knuckle couplers.  Knuckle couplers also vary, since Bachmann offers both non-working and operating knuckle couplers.  Bachmann knuckle couplers work, but are slightly over-sized and will not match some smaller couplers, like Kato.  I have modest tastes and enjoy running both new and vintage N scale.  Thus, I use DC control for my trains, and have converted most of my locomotives and cars to Micro-Trains operating couplers.  Also, I like operating headlights and prefer diesel locomotives, though I do own a Bachmann 4-8-4 and another steam loco (Bachmann 2-6-2 prairie, but it only has a dummy headlight).  Bachmann offers more steam locomotives than most other brands and may have what you need.  Be aware that most steam locomotives have rubber traction tires that will eventually need replacement, and also require smoother track.  Diesel locomotives generally are not fussy about track.  If you have a modest budget and DC is OK, the Bachmann Empire Builder set has a good 4-8-4 northern steamer with headlight, freight cars, track, and DC controller.  It may or may not have operating couplers depending upon when made.  I do like my Bachmann 4-8-4 and have had it for some 10 years and enjoy running it.  N scale is a relaxing hobby.  Good luck!

RKeefer

My best suggestion would be to contact a local train shop and ask about model railroad clubs in your area - there are groups almost everywhere and most are ready to welcome new people without question.

Dues should be fairly reasonable and members will be happy to show you all the mistakes they made along the way learning bout the hobby.

Not much involved in this hobby is really hard, just lots and lots of details, easy to mess things up.  Don't worry about the scale of the group you locate, much of what we do is transportable across scales.

The spookshow blogs are great - start at the beginning with layout one, you will get a good history of one man's progress and some of the mistakes he learned.

Don't know where you live, if you give me a city and state I can try to find a group near you.

Good luck!!

Ric

Ron Zee

To answer one of your questions, the numbers mean how many wheels the steam locomotive has. A 4-4-0 would have a set of 4 wheels under the front of it, 4 wheels under the main section of it and 0 wheels under the rear or cab section of it. A loco with like you asked would have 2 under the front, 8 under the middle and 2 under the rear of it.

LV LOU

If I were just starting,I'd go to a club,even if it was a different scale,get advice from them as to what to buy,ETC..The biggest thing? Don't waste money buying cheap stuff to start,just so you can get more quicker.I started model railroading 40+ years ago,other than the more expensive stuff I bought then,everything else is gone.
The numbers after the steam locomotives is the Whyte System,a number designation to identify the wheel arrangements of steam locomotives.The first number is the guide,or front truck.Each axle is counted as 2 wheels,so a loco with no front truck is a 0,one axle is 2,2 is 4,and so on.Same with drivers,and the rear truck.Although there are more wheel classifications,here's a general list of arrangements,and their names:

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/belgian/smashsys.htm

This is certainly not a complete list,one railroads 4-8-4 Northern,known nearly everywhere as such,is a Wyoming on the Lehigh Valley Railroad,and a Lackawanna on the Lackawanna RR..

Albert in N

A beginner set is not necessarily a bad decision.  Availability and lower price allows a wonderful hobby immediately.  If a person waits too long to start model railroading, they may never pursue the hobby.  If the beginner set does not work out, it can usually be sold or traded without much loss.  That is just my thought. 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Here's a wiki page with steamer names too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Locomotive_classification--Colvin_1906--300dpi.jpg
Note steamers, electrics, and diesels each use a different set of rules to define an engine. ID. can vary by country, RR, and maker too.
While RTR is a usually a dollar vs fun bargin, and a good way to get ones feet wet fast, I have never been much impressed by RTR train sets. You get what you pay for, plastic wheels and all. If your sure model RRs are for you, I would suggest going with individual purchases to help ensure quality, which should in turn pay for itself by working better over time. Most often, as soon as a person expands, crucial parts of the original purchase are often replaced anyhow(bigger power pack/stronger engine). Research, and if possible try running, both conventional DC, and DCC trains its a big difference in performance and price. A firm, and well thought decision should be made about this now before you spend your dime.
I also highly suggest a small floor or table loop, to help keep you motivated, and entertained, should you decide to go in-depth with your build.

GG1onFordsDTandI

You will see some differences in the wiki, and douglas site's Whyte lists due to year each list was made. I noted Kanawha (=a C&O Berkshire) and a few other names missing.