News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4

Started by SteamGene, September 18, 2007, 11:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

The C&O Historical Society has the anticipated 2-8-4 for sale for less than $150, with even less for members.  The predict an arrival date of November and apparently offer only one number - but that might be because I only ordered one locomotive.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

Gene, who makes the loco?   Stephen

SteamGene

This is the new DCC ready Bachmann Standard, which looks very similar to Spectrum quality.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Micro Mark is taking orders for it. Is is going for 100$ and it is DCC equipted. Looks like a error i think.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83989
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

Well, the picture is of a NKP Berk and not a C&O Kanawha.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Berk or Kanawha,

I am going to look at the possiblity of taking about five feet out of the length of the fire box and replacing the trailing truck with a single axle one to make a Lima super power Mike like those they built for the DT&I.

That is if it pulls well enough or has room for some weight.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I'll let you know when I get mine.  :D  I may get an undeced one that the VT&P bought from the C&O.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Frisco_Manny

I'm confused at Bachmann's marketing strategy  ???. I love all steam, although the 2-8-4 is not one of my favorite wheel arrangements; so looking at the model here on this site and through others, the engine is labeled as "STANDARD", yet it appears to be nothing but "SPECTRUM" quality. Why would Bachmann muddy the waters intermixing STANDARD with SPECTRUM? Why not eliminate the STANDARD LINE and just produce SPECTRUM?

Manny

SteamGene

The difference, as explained when the 2-8-4 was first announced is the amount of cast detail vs applied after molding.   That actually probably makes a difference of maybe 5 yuan between Spectrum vs Standard,  but it allows Bachmann to charge less and make more, I'll bet.  The mechanical difference between Spectrum and Standard is now about moot, based on my two Standard USRA 0-6-0s.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I think Gene hit the nail on the head and I want to add my thought here.   In the age of political correctness etc,  an age I may not survive,  I am going to say something that may or may not be received well,  but those of us in this hobby for more than 25 years,  most would agree.   
       At one time,  Bachmann was known as Botchman,   a junk dealer,  maker of low quality trains.   To their great credit,  the company has come light years from that reputation and now offers us some of the best model railroad equipment that is used and accepted by not only the person who just wants to watch a model/toy train run around to those of us who actually strive to created a miniature world,  trying for realism.
       I for one am thrilled that the standard Bachmann line is now approaching the quality of the Spectrum line,  and yet the equipment can be had for a lower price.  I think this just shows good business thinking that benefits the company and its customers.   Couple that with good service and you have company that does not have to take a back seat to anyone in the marketplace.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

On Lima super-powered mike:
SHeldon; Why go through the trouble when there are a number of mikes, both light and heavy, out there to pick from?  I do a fair amount of "super-detailing", but would be loathe to start ripping apart frames; considering that there enough engines of particular Whyte desigination to pick from.  What are your thoughts?

RIch   
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

One, I just like that loco, I am a freelancer so I can run whatever I like.

Two, While the selection of Mikes on the market is fair, not great but fair, I do not use DCC or sound and Broadway has yet to deliver a Stealth Heavy Unlettered or a Stealth Light Unlettered as of yet. If they do I may buy a few anyway. What other Mikes are out there currently?

The DT&I Mikes where truely just Berks with a little less firebox, smaller drivers and all weather cabs. The rest of the parts/design was the same. They where super power and where built at the same time as the "famous" Berks. You can almost mistake them for a Lima Berk at first glance. The boiler design/profile of the DT&I mikes is like a Berk, nearly straight, not the typical USRA taper. So getting that look from any Mike on the market now would be just as big or bigger job.

For my freelanced Atlantic Central I think it would be a nice "what if" piece and should not really be that hard to do. What if someone other than the DT&I had wanted them, but with no all weathercabs and the larger drivers. Larger drivered Mikes (69-70")where a raratiy, but the B&O had such good luck with theirs, (and their 4-8-2's) they nevered owned a Berk or a Northern.

And I don't really care for Berks because of their long rear overhang, even on my 42" radius curves. They are longer from the last driver to the cab rear than most Northerns.

Sheldon