News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small Layout

Started by dheaton, December 10, 2013, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheaton

This may have already been asked here but I did not see it so here goes.

Are there any good examples of a small track layout for a 4x8?  I am looking for a way that I can enjoy this hobby but my home really has no space to put up a  large track layout.  My garage is too cold in the winter and would have to leave my car outside to do it.  I am just looking for some good ideas on track layouts that do not take allot of space but still fun.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: dheaton on December 10, 2013, 11:27:33 AM
This may have already been asked here but I did not see it so here goes.

Are there any good examples of a small track layout for a 4x8?  I am looking for a way that I can enjoy this hobby but my home really has no space to put up a  large track layout.  My garage is too cold in the winter and would have to leave my car outside to do it.  I am just looking for some good ideas on track layouts that do not take allot of space but still fun.

You might check this out.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_784&products_id=2545

Others can probably recommend web sites with track plans. I'm old fashioned; I like books. Your local hobby shop probably will have a selection of track plan books published by Atlas or Kalmbach.

dheaton

Thanks Jeff for the reply.  I was looking here hoping somone would have a few suggestions as I do not live any where near a hobby shop.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: dheaton on December 10, 2013, 12:16:20 PM
Thanks Jeff for the reply.  I was looking here hoping somone would have a few suggestions as I do not live any where near a hobby shop.

I wrote my response suggesting a hobby shop before I read about your horrible experience at that shop in Salt Lake City. Sorry about that!

I can think of a lot of names for that store owner, none of them polite.

You might try looking for plan books on line, at Amazon or eBay.

I hope somebody else chimes in here. There must be sources of track plans on the Internet. I'm just not familiar with them.

Irbricksceo

There are two poular ways of making small layouts. One is to make a "shelf Layout", a narrow layout that goes on a wall like, well, a shelf. These can be for switching layouts or just short point to point. Alternatively, there are small layouts on a sheet of wood, with the most common being the 4X8. These are the most common starting point for new modelers actually. The advantages are that they can be layed against the wall or under a bed and so on. On these, you can place an oval with some sidings, a figure eight, things like that. You will be using 18 inch radius curves, limiting you in what you can run but it is a nice place to start (my first was an oval with three sidings for industry) You can fit 22 inch radius on the board, whether you want to make a double track or larger turns, but it is not reccomended, at least to me, as this puts the track at the edge of the board and you don't want a Locomotive to jump the track and "take the plunge"

Good luck!
Modeling NYC in N

dheaton

Thanks Morgun, that is a good thread.  I think I need to really think about this a bit.  I am trying to figure out where I can put up a track where I will not have to tear it down every few days.  Even a 4x8 is going to be tight.  I guess maybe I should just build an outbuilding just for trains, right? :)

Quote from: Morgun 30 on December 10, 2013, 03:09:28 PM
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,25804.0.html

J3a-614

An outbuilding for trains is fine if you want it and can afford it, but there are alternatives.

One I'm looking at where I live is what I call a "high line," a model railroad on a long shelf running around the room, high enough that you can walk under it.  Scenery might be a bit limited, but remember, you may not always see that much along a railroad, which is quite skinny.

Others work in really small spaces.  Granted, you're not going to model 15-car streamliners and 200-car coal drags (which most of us don't really do anyway!), but certain types of railroading can be fitted into small spaces.  I've personally built two trolley layouts, standard gauge in HO, in a space of only 2 feet by 4 feet.

Here are two sites you may find very interesting, both dealing with just this subject.

The first is the late Carl Arendt's site, the Micro Layout Design Gallery:

http://www.carendt.com/index.html

http://www.carendt.com/microplans/

The other is another similar site inspired by Mr. Arendt and with links to it.  This fellow is interesting in he also has an interest in the 19th century.

http://smallmr.com/wordpress/

Maybe there's inspiration there. . .

Doneldon

dh-

Google: HO 4x8 plans.

-- D

utdave

i also live close to SlC and have dealt with the  low numbers of retailers there and up in Ogden.    i did like the shop in clearfield .   if i was going to do a small layout i would go up just a hair more  5 x 8 or even 9 or 10      width is the killer on 4 ft wide.   and what type of track are you going to use  EZ track?       and  i would also have 2 switches so i could add a extension table  for a temp rail extension when you have more time to run the trains.       Dave

dheaton

Hi Dave
What part of Utah do you live?
What is EZ track?  I am trying to find space for a 4x8 but having a hard time doing that.

Quote from: utdave on December 10, 2013, 11:41:31 PM
i also live close to SlC and have dealt with the  low numbers of retailers there and up in Ogden.    i did like the shop in clearfield .   if i was going to do a small layout i would go up just a hair more  5 x 8 or even 9 or 10      width is the killer on 4 ft wide.   and what type of track are you going to use  EZ track?       and  i would also have 2 switches so i could add a extension table  for a temp rail extension when you have more time to run the trains.       Dave