News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Record and Play

Started by Mark FL, December 10, 2013, 02:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

can someone explain what record and play is for some DCC trains? how does it work and does Bachmann have this feature?

Hunt

Record/Playback is a feature of MTH's proprietary DCS (Digital Command System). The MTH DCS is not a DCC system.

The Record/Playback feature records all the commands to a train or trains.  Then you playback what was recorded thus customized automating the running of the train or trains.

More detail information about the MTH DCS Record/Playback feature is buried in the MTHTrains website. 

Mark FL

Thanks Hunt. I think this is not for me then. I run all DCC

richg

Yeah, DCS does not play well with DCC. Nice locos though.
Many discussions of the DCS versus DCC issue on the Trans.com, Model Railroader forums.
Some went as far as replacing the DCS in the loco with DCC.

Rich

Mark FL

richg

Mark, my best friend Google just looked for DCS Vs DCC  and told me there are many links about this issue. Go look. I don't care to post the links here.

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Seems to me some of the BLI locomotives also have this feature and they are DCC.
Rocky Lives

Hunt

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 10, 2013, 06:07:42 PM
Seems to me some of the BLI locomotives also have this feature and they are DCC.
Some BLI DCC locomotives do.

I have not used the BLI DCC decoder based very limited record and playback so I did not mention it. I do know from my technical notes --
Some BLI (Broadway Limited Imports) Paragon 2 locomotives are factory equipped with a BLI DCC decoder that does have a record and playback feature.  Function 27 (F27) starts and stops the recording of commands and Function 26 (F26) plays back.  It is limited by the decoder memory space for the macro.  CV 238 controls the number of times the recording will repeat.

Mark FL

Thanks GN. I thought that i had read about broadway limited having the "record play" function.  I would assume that if i had one of these I could up load the sounds to the chip. I would like to find someone that has done this and see how they liked it.

Hunt

Mark FL,

Seems you have "replace or add sounds" into the DCC decoder confused with "locomotive control" record and play.  They are different.

If you want to add or replace sound files in the decoder, the sound files can be downloaded or you can record your own sound files and load them into the decoder.  Digitrax and LokSound have DCC decoders, the equipment, and downloadable sound files for the modeler to add or replace the sound file(s) in the decoder.