News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Missing numbers in the number boards New F-7A

Started by ALCO539, December 10, 2013, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO539

Mr. Bach Man or anyone. I just received two of the new F-7A's lettered for the B&O. Neither has numbers in the number boards. Since photos at the various retailers (Bachmann's online store too) often reuse pictures from the Plus and Spectrum series, some have numbers, most don't. I don't know if they're missing or not suppose to be there. The Norfolk Southern is a new road name and shows numbers. Also, the Great Northern shown on some of the forums has numbers, and the spookshow site shows the GN with numbers????????

What's the answer? It's not a big deal, I've been adding numbers in the numbers boards to N scale loco's since 1969, but I'd like to know.

Regards Charley.

the Bach-man

Dear ALCO,
When the numbers are not prominent we sometimes leave them off to make it easier to run multiple units.  Those who want to number their units can then easily get decals.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

TJ

ALCO,
   I too have been in N-SCALE since1969 as well,I have to agree with BACH-MAN, it is far easier and inexpensive to purchase some DECALS for such projects.

TJ

ALCO539

Thank you for the replies Mr. Bach-Man and TJ. I agree, that it's easier if you don't have to remove the numbers. However, I only plan on having two B&O F-7A's. I wanted a B unit, but they were out-of-stock at my retailer. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to apply number board numbers for a change.

Also, the sides of the B&O F-7A's have numbers, I think? I can't check mine because they were a Christmas present from my two daughters. I briefly looked at them for shipping damage, and noted no numbers in the number boards. Ran them to make sure they were OK, removed the warranty card to mail, before the ten day deadline, then they were wrapped until Christmas. I wouldn't dare open them.

If they indeed have numbers on the sides (I think they do) why not leave off "all road numbers" which would follow the Bach-Man's logic. I think the Santa Fe's are like that, no prominent numbers except a very small 309 above the rear truck. At least the online store pictures show side numbers (most are prominent!). I guess "it don't matter" anyway, but if anyone has a new B&O F-7A. Was I seeing things again, are there side numbers?

Regards Charley.

ALCO539

I'll answer my own question about the road numbers on the sides of the new B&O F-7A's. Over on the TB a member is showing how he draw barred an A and B unit together, there are no side numbers. I guess, I am seeing things!!! It doesn't look like they have been removed, or he did a good job of removing them.

Charley.

Piyer

Charley,

If you are referring to the blue/grey/black paint scheme, I believe that as-delivered the units had their road numbers in three places: illuminated in the two number boards and in reflective buttons on the top edge of the nose door (as seen below in a photo from http://www.rr-fallenflags.org ). Sometime later they added the road number to the lower side panels, centered below the "BALTIMORE AND OHIO" - roughly right below the RE in Baltimore. 

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

ALCO539

Yep, I've seen that photo, so I knew that for an early paint scheme the new F-7A would be "right on". However, the Plus and maybe the Spectrum versions of the Bachmann F-7A had the road numbers centered under the "A" of the road name. If you look at the Brooklyn Locomotive Works site (closeouts are reported to be Plus versions), or Bachmann's own online store, you can see the numbers on the lower panel.

Anyway, the numbers are not there on the current production, and at least for the B&O units, neither is the number board numbers. Therefore before I'm accused of wasting "bandwidth" on this forum too, I'm not beating this dead horse anymore. Thank you for all of the info folks.

Regards Charley.

Albert in N

In 2013, number decals with white letters on a black background are hard to find.  Sure, back in the 1970s and early 80s Champ decals and Walthers had these (Walthers even had N decals, and some smaller Champ HO decals worked).  Now, Champ is gone and Walthers no longer produces them.  Even MicroScale does not offer number board decal sets all the time, plus most of theirs have clear numbers on black background.  Not many vendors at train shows or hobby shops carry decals, like in the Good Old Days.  I have been looking for some number board white on black background decals for a couple of Bachmann Union Pacific GP40s.  Since most modern N scale locomotives have numbers in the number boards, demand for those decals is less than in years past.  No numbers on a new diesel means no sale.  

Brewman

Check this site for number boards. I bought some HO scale ones and they worked fine, it might be a bit harder for the N scale ones though. The back ground is one decal and the numbers are separate decals. Just a note, the black background with white numbers will not show light through them.

http://www.shellscale.com/numberboard%20page.htm

Albert in N

Thanks Brewman for the ShellScale Decals link.  Bachmann's blog site has given me some neat modeling tips over the years.  The diesel number board issue is puzzling regarding Bachmann products.  The starter Thunder Valley set has excellent number boards on the Santa Fe GP40.  Yet the UP GP40 separate sale locos have empty numberboards as do the Spectrum F-7 and starter set F-9 diesels.  The recently discontinued GE B30-7 and FM H16-44 diesels have black numbers on clear plastic number boards, with faint lighting.  Yet all my Atlas and Kato diesels have great number boards with sharp visible numbers, both with or without lights like real locomotives.  I used white self-stick labels cut to fit behind the clear number boards on my Bachmann GE and FM units, plus trying to brighten the lighting.