News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS3 missing CV5?

Started by DAVE2744, December 12, 2013, 02:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

My B'mann S4 has a CV-5 ( V max ) listed.  It appears the RS3 does not have this CV.  Anyone know if this is True? I can't imagine they would leave it out , . . well maybe . . .  Thanks to anyone with info

DAVE2744

Thank you for your reply Jerry.  I spent too much time yesterday trying to set CV-5 that didn't exist !  I still tend to do things the old "tinker with it first".  Guess I'll have to start looking things up on the net sooner.  I think the sound board files in the RS=3 are the best I've heard of an older diesel.  Dave

richg

That can be an issue with some loco decoders. The manufacturer will tell you is in the decoder but will not say what is missing.
It can be time consuming to read though all the CV listing in the document and try to compare with a stock decoder you buy from the decoder manufacturer.

In all the forums I belong to, I see this every so often with a couple manufactures of locos with on board decoders. Some mention, stripped down decoders.
Yes I know, some manufactures want to cut cost for competition.

Rich

Hunt

Yes, the PDF http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/ho_alco_rs3_sv.pdf does not list CV 5 V max or CV 6 V mid as being supported; BUT, that maybe is a typo (cut and paste error).

My tech notes show all SoundTraxx Bachmann Sound Value decoders installed to date  support
CV 2 V start
CV 5 V max
CV 6 V mid

DAVE2744 what DCC system are you using? If your system can read CVs, what is the value in CV 6?

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on December 12, 2013, 04:52:32 PM
. . . DAVE2744 what DCC system are you using? If your system can read CVs, what is the value in CV 6?
I expect the RS3 CV 6 default value is zero but should your ALCO RS3 CV 6 have a factory default value other than 0, I would expect the default to be 96.

I do not have convenient access to a RS3.

DAVE2744

Thank you for the info.  I won't be able to check out the CVs until late Friday 13th morning. Will post my findings then. Thanks all.

DAVE2744

Finally got time to experiment with CV5. B'mann docs are wrong. There IS a CV5 and CV6 in the RS-3. Readback showed it was 075 from factory. CV6 showed 000. Sort of makes you wonder what else is not documented.  As the RS-3 is reminiscent of KATO top end speeds, I set CV5 all the way down to 20. Top end is now 30mph, well suited for my small branch line operations. It also, combined with CV3 setting of 150, allows engine sound to "rev up" long before any movement of the loco. Thank you all for your inputs. I'll post my CV settings on another post later for the B'mann S4 and RS-3.

Hunt

DAVE2744,
I don't think CV 5 would come from factory with anything other than zero as the default value.

Do a decoder reset, which will restore all CVs to their default value.
Program an 8 to CV 8 then recycle power to the locomotive so the decoder will complete the reset.  Now read CV 5.

What DCC system are you using?

DAVE2744

The system is a Digitraxx DCS51 with 2 UT4 tethered throttles.  Seems to be a robust system, as I have shorted it out too many times through carelessness.  I'm starting to pay attention to details now ( like checking uncoupling wire droop ). I did finally buy a Kaydee coupler gage.

Hunt

Quote from: DAVE2744 on December 14, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
The system is a Digitraxx DCS51 with 2 UT4 tethered throttles.  Seems to be a robust system, as I have shorted it out too many times through carelessness.  I'm starting to pay attention to details now ( like checking uncoupling wire droop ). I did finally buy a Kaydee coupler gage.
You will encounter programming anomalies using any SoundTraxx decoder made for Bachmann with the Digitrax DCS51. Make good use of Digitrax online Tech Support Depot.

BTW - It is Kadee not Kaydee. That uncoupling wire is called "trip pin"

ALCO1000

Quote from: richg on December 12, 2013, 03:59:49 PM
That can be an issue with some loco decoders. The manufacturer will tell you is in the decoder but will not say what is missing.
It can be time consuming to read though all the CV listing in the document and try to compare with a stock decoder you buy from the decoder manufacturer.

In all the forums I belong to, I see this every so often with a couple manufactures of locos with on board decoders. Some mention, stripped down decoders.
Yes I know, some manufactures want to cut cost for competition.

Rich
There might be somthing there that they did not tell you about remember it is still tsumani? Jack

Hunt

Quote from: ALCO1000 on December 15, 2013, 11:58:07 PM
. . . There might be somthing there that they did not tell you about remember it is still tsumani? Jack

Jack,
  The Sound Value SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM decoder factory installed in the Bachmann HO SR3  diesel is not a Tsunami decoder. A Sound Value decoder does have some of the same features found in a Tsunami decoder.

nelsonb111563

Quote from: Hunt on December 16, 2013, 03:18:46 PM
Quote from: ALCO1000 on December 15, 2013, 11:58:07 PM
. . . There might be somthing there that they did not tell you about remember it is still tsumani? Jack

Jack,
  The Sound Value SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM decoder factory installed in the Bachmann HO SR3  diesel is not a Tsunami decoder. A Sound Value decoder does have some of the same features found in a Tsunami decoder.

Correction, the Soundvalue decoder IS a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder.  Is is a light version that does not have all the "bells and whistles" to keep the cost down.  Tsunamis DO NOT support CV's 5 or 6!.  In order to set up your max and midrange speed, you will have to enable the speed tables in CV29.  Then set your FWD and REV trim to your expected range.  I set mine at 90 both FWD and REV.  There is a YouTube video by "Fishplate Films"  That does a fantastic job of explaining this procedure.  I would also suggest downloading the Diesel Tech guide on the Soundtraxx web site. 

Hunt

Quote from: nelsonb111563 on May 01, 2014, 04:54:50 PM

Correction, the Soundvalue decoder IS a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder. . . .

Fact – Bachmann Sound Value decoder is not a Tsunami decoder.

The Sound Value decoder made by SoundTraxx for Bachmann does not have SoundTraxx Tsunami technology.

The decoders factory installed in the Bachmann Spectrum line do use the SoundTraxx Tsunami technology and are Tsunami decoders built to Bachmann specifications thus are not identical to the aftermarket SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder.

Click Here for information and other links.