News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can someone tell me more about this set?

Started by bighittex, December 05, 2013, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighittex

Can anybody tell me about this train?  I'm about to buy it on Craig's list and want to be sure it is a good one.  I have searched everywhere on the web to find something that looks exactly like it and I can't find it anywhere.

It says a bachman, North Star Express. 4-6-0.

I've attached a picture of the posting from Craig's list.  If you guys wouldn't mind commenting on it I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to the picture:  http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy341/Colin_Conner/ScreenShot2013-12-05at70540PM_zps42c8bcbf.png

Thanks!

veetwelve

That looks like the Sam's Club #90051 set from 2005, which would make the engine an Anniversary ("Annie") edition... very nice find!  I would suggest contacting the seller and having them confirm the set number off of the box.  From the picture, it appears that the track pieces have been dumped in the place where the engine and tender should be stored, so that's an indication that the rest of the set may have been handled with the same indifference.
Good luck!
Jay

Loco Bill Canelos

Jay is correct it is the 2005 North Star set sold at Sam's Club.  I was a very nice set.  I don't know what you have to pay for it, but similar sets which are complete and with a locomotive in running condition have gone for as little as $60 and up to $150 on Ebay.   The locomotive in the set has the version 5 chassis which is known for good reliability.   I would not buy it without checking the contents to see if everything is present and working.  If you get it for $70 or less it would be worth it just for the cars and the metal wheels.

Good Luck! & have fun! 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bighittex

Thanks Bill and Jay.  Ultimately I wanted to know if I was getting a good deal on a reliable set.  I agreed to $60 so that seems like a fair price if it is in good working condition which he assures me it is. 

If I'd like to get more track, what size do I need?

Colin

Loco Bill Canelos

Here is a link to the pieces available.  You will get a better price from Discount sellers, Ebay or maybe even Craigs list!

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=718_924_925

Have fun with the new train, you got a great price!!

Bill

bighittex

Ok.   I got the train and have it set up.  I love it!

It is a North Star Express #90041

There is a 205 on the side of the engine.  What can you tell me about this one?

Loco Bill Canelos

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on December 06, 2013, 10:16:24 AM
Jay is correct it is the 2005 North Star set sold at Sam's Club.  I was a very nice set.  I don't know what you have to pay for it, but similar sets which are complete and with a locomotive in running condition have gone for as little as $60 and up to $150 on Ebay.   The locomotive in the set has the version 5 chassis which is known for good reliability.   I would not buy it without checking the contents to see if everything is present and working.  If you get it for $70 or less it would be worth it just for the cars and the metal wheels.

Good Luck! & have fun! 

Bill

This is the information on your set, not sure what else you want to know about it, but you can try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKImsl8gcWc

There are two parts!

Have fun

bighittex

Thanks Bill,

At the top of this conversation Jay thought my train might be a 90051, and he gave me the year and where it was sold, and that it had an anniversary edition engine.  Well, when I got it the train number was 90041, and I was wondering what the difference was in the two?

Thanks for the link.

Colin

veetwelve

Hi Colin,
I am unclear on the differences between the 90041 and 90051, other than they both appear to be Sam's Club offerings from 2005.

Bill, do you have any information on the 90041, vs. the 90051, from your database?

Thanks!
Jay

Loco Bill Canelos

Jay, Colin   Sorry I did not pick up on the number issue. :-[
The only North Star Express 90041 set I have with the Locomotive #205 is the one in the picture Colin posted from Craigslist. It does have the two passenger cars and the caboose and is 90041 not 90051 so I am sorry if I confused the issue.  Right  now I do not have a 90051 set in the database. 

Jay, many years ago I listed 90041 as 90051 in  a typo, and once on the internet it seems that mistakes like that may never go away, It has haunted me ever since :'( :'(

Have fun

Bill

veetwelve

Thanks Bill,

Mystery solved!  Then that is the same set I was recalling, and it does have the nice Annie loco.  What a great find for Colin, and at a great price!

Just set up my Royal Blue under the Christmas tree last night... now to finish installing my BBT drive in the Gold Rush woodburner...

Jay