News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-2 w/ Tender

Started by palallin, December 12, 2013, 03:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palallin

I'm looking at a 2-4-2 on eBay.  It has a tnder; it's lettered for the WP & Y and numbered "9."  Olive w/ red cab roof.  From the description:  "DUSTY AND WHEELS NEED CLEANED TO RUN BETTER- BEEN ON SHELF LONG   TIME"  Appears to be intact.  BiN Prince $148.30.

I have no experience with this engine type.  Is it a reliable type or prone to failure?  Any problems to be aware of?

Thansk for any input.

Mike M

It is prone to gear failure that is probably why it is not running well as stated
Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

That specific loco is from 1992, Item 91119   WP&Y   loco #9   1992   2-4-2,  with tender, White Pass & Yukon            wood burner   MSRP $120.00 in 1992.

The mechanism is very prone to failure and electrical pickup is poor if even the slightest dirty.  You can buy a new 2-4-2T but without a tender.  Shame about the old mechanism it was a nice model.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=2890

I have seen them on sale for as low as $200 brand new!  It is updated with better pickup and a vastly improved mechanism over those old ones and better detail as well.

Have fun!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

palallin

Thanks, gentlemen!  It is a shame:  I very much like the looks of this version better than the new one.  I don't want to risk that kind of $$$ on one with such a pedigree without a thorough health history.