News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Bachman Diesel Mechanism Overhaul

Started by redvdub1, December 12, 2013, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redvdub1

A fellow club member has an "old" BMAN diesel with an "Athearn Like Motor" that has two flywheels.  I cannot "twist off" the flywheels as I can easily do on Athearn motors.  We need to take the motor apart to try and tune up this engine.  Does Bachman use an adhesive on their flywheels that I will have to "break" to take off the flywheels? 

I think the motor is unbalanced as it vibrates a bit much for my liking.  So we need to either fix that or try another motor. 

richg

You might need a Puller from NWSL I have used the Puller for pulling gears and flywheels, drivers.

Rich

jbrock27

redvdub1, is this a Plus model you are referring to?
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

jbrock27

Rich, you startin to get excited about the Big E?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO1000

Quote from: redvdub1 on December 12, 2013, 03:40:53 PM
A fellow club member has an "old" BMAN diesel with an "Athearn Like Motor" that has two flywheels.  I cannot "twist off" the flywheels as I can easily do on Athearn motors.  We need to take the motor apart to try and tune up this engine.  Does Bachman use an adhesive on their flywheels that I will have to "break" to take off the flywheels? 

I think the motor is unbalanced as it vibrates a bit much for my liking.  So we need to either fix that or try another motor. 
USE A PULLER OR REMOVE THE U JOINT FROM THE FLYWHEEL PUT THE FLYWHEEL IN A VICE AND GET A SMALL CENTER PUNCH AND PUSH THE MOTOR SHAFT OUT OF THE FLYWHEEL ,IF YOUR BRAVE I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE WARM UP THE FLYWHEEL WITH OUT TORCHING THE MOTOR AND IT WILL PULL OFF EASY , TWISTING IS NOT GOOD FOR THE MOTOR SHAFT IF IT IS NOT AN ATHEARN SMALL AND EASY TO CAUSE AN UNBALANCE WITH THE SHAFT AND ARMATURE sORRY ABOUT THE CAPS GOT LAZY
JACK

jbrock27

The CAPS hurt my eyes  :'(

I would think you would want to use heat as a last resort bc I would think the possibility is high that any plastic in the flywheel is going to melt before you can get the flywheel loose from the motor shaft.  Plus, with heat, you are going to expand metals, and if the shaft expands first, it will make the fit tighther between the shaft and flywheel.  That said, when I had this same problem with a stubborn Athearn flywheel, I tried cold (putting the windings and stuck flywheel in plastic zip lock bag in the freezer for a while) but that did not work either.   I can see a flywheel getting chewed up in a vice.  In the end, I gave up. 

A puller is probably the best option, but cost is comparable (when considering shipping) to a replacement motor.  I don't think it has been established yet by the OP what model motor we have been trying to help with.
Keep Calm and Carry On