News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco plug wire pulled apart.

Started by bigboy2000, December 15, 2013, 09:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigboy2000

Need help on what is best to correct loco power plug. My Spectrum Mogul has two plugs coming from the rear which attach to the tender and the one in question is the bigger one. I pulled the wire instead of the plug which I know better but did it anyway hoping for the best because it is so difficult to get at. Well, one of the four wires pulled completely out. Do they sell a replacement plug which I can slice back together or does this require body disassembly to replace the bad one with a a new one, or? Please help.
Al Elias

Kevin Strong

You can fix this, you just need to remove the metal clip inside the plug and re-solder it to the wire. To do this, look at the plug and on the bottom of it, you'll notice a small silver tab. This is what locks the metal connector into the plastic housing. If you've got a jeweler's flathead screwdriver handy (or something similarly pointy and small but strong, gently press down on this tab and push it back towards the rear of the plug. If you've got some needlenose pliers to pull from the back, that will help. Once you get the metal connector out of the plastic plug, solder the wire back to the clip, and re-insert it into the plug. You should be good as new.

I've been known to take some hot glue and put a bead of hot glue down the back of the plug to keep that from happening again.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

I also use Kevin's hot glue idea on other locos as well.  Many a time, Bachmann Big Hauler and Anniversary 4-6-0's are returned for warranty service for the same problem.  A little hot glue can be a big saver of time and money as opposed to sending it in for service!!!  This has been a lifesaver using plugs on soundboards and rc receiver units as well since they are likely to have this problem at one time or another.   

Good one Kevin!!!!!!  Reminds me I have been lazy about doing it on some recent additions!! 

Thanks Kevin.

Good cheer to all!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bigboy2000

Thanks Kevin buddy! It worked. I used a tiny screw driver like you said that most of us have that comes in a small plastic case. I worked it up and grabbed it with a small needle nose pliers and pulled it out. Thanks a million. And also thank you and Bill Canelos for the hot glue techique. This is what makes this hobby more enjoyable, knowlegeable people willing to help each other out.
Alfred Elias, TTOS and TCA member Southwestern Division