News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railcars!

Started by Chastity, December 15, 2013, 06:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chastity

These would make wonderful 1:20.3 models since are all narrow gauge. 

Death Valley Railroad #5 - a Brill product and running again

EBT M1

aspoz

Totally agree, provided they are done at a scale which roughly approximates something betwen 1:20.3 and 1:24.  The Brill cars similar to DVR#5 ran extensively in this neck of the woods and would be a great addition to my railway.  However I rather suspect that Bachmann may be in a "wait and see what happens in the economy and to large scale buying habits" mode for things narrow gauge at present, so while I would very much like to see them I don't have very high hopes!

Steve

Chuck N

I have several rail cars; Delton Doozie, Accucraft Goose #2, LGB motor car.  Rail cars are a nice additIon to a railroad, but the problem I see is finding a generic one that will satisfy enough of us to make it a successful entry.  The pictures Chasity showed were different .  Any entry here would have to have wide spread interest.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

I don't think there is such a thing as a "generic" narrow gauge railcar. I've never seen any two that were remotely similar to one another (at least in this country). Many (nearly all, actually) were cobbled together by the individual railroad, so all of them took on quite unique characteristics. Some were very handsome affairs such as the two shown above. Others would test the limits of a mother's love.

Of course I'm a bit biased towards wanting to see the EBT M-1 produced. I've seen dyed-in-the-wool Colorado narrow gauge modelers have models of this car running on their small-scale indoor pikes, so if it can appeal to those guys, it may do well in large scale as well. On the other hand, the M-1 is not a small prototype. I forget the exact measurements off the top of my head, but picture an Accucraft passenger car and add 4" to the length or so.

I don't know how the death valley prototype compares, but being a wood-bodied car, it may have a bit more of a "rustic" look that may appeal to modelers instead of the "modern" steel construction of the M-1.

I'd gladly take either one... ;)

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

HI All,

Being a freelancer, I can do anything I want, so I would buy either one if it were produced, but would prefer the Death valley car as it appears to be smaller than the EBT car and has what looks like wood sides. 

Considering that Bachmann has really slowed down when it comes to narrow gauge goodies in Large Scale and focused on Thomas and the Lil Big Haulers to appeal to a larger mass market, I doubt we will see a new motor car anytime soon. I would love to be wrong!  In my personal experience with many fellow modelers I only know a few who are in narrow gauge.  Most of the money seems to be going into 1/29th, and even that market seems to be saturated.  When LGB, Aristo and USAT trains freight cars sell for $30 to $35 on Ebay, you know the market is flooded.  Nice cars I would have gladly paid $50 for in the past go unsold all the time.   Even the Bachmann items I buy go for rock bottom prices.  I have bought groups of Bachmann cars oin Ebay at such low prices that it is worth it just to get the metal wheels for my other brand cars, plus spare parts.

Nice Pics Chastity,

Good Cheer to all!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Well, many moons ago I bought a modification kit to convert a Bachmann baggage car into a reasonable-looking railcar.  I really must dig it out and make some effort to doing it....

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Loco Bill Canelos

Tac,

Show us pics when you do it!

I thought about bashing a Bachmann Combine into a motor and using  the motor blocks from the one 45 tonner I still have left.  I have had that shell for a long time as well.  If I ever do it I will post pics.

73 years old retired and still not enough time for trains!  It's a shame life gets in the way of playing with trains!!!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Wade Colyer

Hi All,

I have a Hartland I got sometime ago at a train meet at a good price. It uses the old Delton combine body that's 1/24th but looks ok with the Bachman cars. I called Hartland and got another front panel and closed in the open rear end. Runs great.

http://www.h-l-w.com/Products/locos2.html

Wade