News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Pack Problem?

Started by bradliff, December 13, 2013, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradliff

I got the Chattanooga "EZ Track" train set as a gift from my parents a few days ago.  Set it up and it worked just fine for about a week.  But then a couple days ago, it started not quite working right.

It came with the 46605A Power Pack.  It seems it's having a problem going counter-clockwise.  When I turn the speed dial up - with the "direction" button to the left - it runs the engine just fine... full speed... with the engine going forwards clockwise or backwards clockwise, depending on which way you place it on the track.  But when I flip the "direction" button to the right and turn the speed dial ALL THE WAY UP (supposed to send the train COUNTER-clockwise), the engine sounds like it's trying to go and it only moves like 1/4 - 1/2 an inch per second.  REALLY SLOW.

I assume it's not the engine since it will go both FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS, FULL speed just fine, depending on which way you place it on the track.  It just won't go counter-clockwise... which is decided by the power pack.  So I think it's a problem with the power pack / speed controller.  Anyone else have this type of problem?  Since I just got it a few days ago, I assume it's also under warranty still.  Any insight?

Thanks!!
bradliff

jbrock27

Am I correct Brad, that you don't have another locomotive to test to see if it behaves the same way?  This will allow you to narrow it right down to it being the pack. 
Re: the warranty, consult the literature that came with the set, but I would suspect that if it was just purchased a few days ago, then yes it would be under warranty.  The literature should have instructions about how to send it back, if not, I am sure the info is here to be found somewhere on the site.
Between you, me and the lampost, I am not a fan of these controllers.  Seems to me from what I have read here there are lots of problems with their direction switches.  I am big fan of MRC power packs.
Also, if you wanted to try and fix the problem and were handy, you could get yourself a Double Pole, Double Throw (DPDT) switch to work in place of the defective one.  You would leave the defective one in the position that "works" and wire the DPDT switch between the power pack and your track and wire it so it you wanted to change direction, you throw the DPDT.  If you are interested in more on this, let me know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Brad-

With such an immediate failure I'd take the set back to the store where it was purchased for a
replacement. You shouldn't have to go to the expense and hassle of wrapping and sending the
power pack back to Bachmann.
                                                    -- D

jbrock27

With parents involved in this purchase, I would have thought that taking it back to the store of purchase (if purchased recently)  in such a short time, would have been the first thing that came to mind.  Perhaps the circumstances are such, this is not possible; I would not think we would be getting the question if it was.  But I could be mistaken and simply returning it to a store, was overlooked.  Or perhaps the store where it was purchased, only carries sets and have no more and it would mean returning the whole set until a replacement comes in (if that is even a possibility).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hamish K

To return to the original post, I had a similar thing happen to a new Bachmann power pack. It worked fine for a short while, then the loco started behaving erratically , and then stopped altogether. I was able to run the loco on another layout, and it ran fine. I retuned the pack to the store I bought it from and received a replacement that has worked fine ever since. Mine was a separate pack, not one in a train set. They are however the same as I understand it.

Hamish

jbrock27

And cheaply made power packs as well, which is why they don't hold up.  MRC makes a better product, IMO.

My father tells me he almost named me Hamish.
Keep Calm and Carry On