News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coming back after a long time away

Started by TurboOne59, December 16, 2013, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboOne59

Hello all. I have been into trains since I was about 4. Dropped an o gauge engine on my foot, been into HO since.  ;D  Due to long hours at work I have decided to use ez track on my layout. Simple and easy. I think I am a O gauge guy as I like watching trains go round and round, no fuss no muss. Not really into realistic operations, just fun. Will be running passinger trains and maybe a freight. Most of my engines are DC so will be adding DCC. Have the basic bachmann DCC controller and quite a few of the bachmann set controllers. My questions, if i still want to run DC engines until I can replace or convert them is it better to change out controller to a dc controller then switch back when I run DCC?

Jerrys HO

Turbo

QuoteMy questions, if i still want to run DC engines until I can replace or convert them is it better to change out controller to a dc controller then switch back when I run DCC?

IMHO I would swap controllers so as not to take the risk of overheating or burning up the motor. Some run a DC loco on the DCC layout for short periods  but my concern is shortening the life of the motor since there is 12v constant being applied at all times.

Jerry

TurboOne59

Thanks Jerry.  ;D Should be set up by new years!!!!

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Another thing people have been known to do is run one loop on DC and another loop on DCC.

VTBob

TOny's carries a T1 Decoder (TCS) that will do both DCC & DC. I've been installing them into all of my Bachmann locomotives without any hassle. Never had one short out yet either, altho I run my DC locomotives with a Tech 2500 power pack. The bigger & huskier power packs with the pulse switch might fry the T1 tho, so be careful on how much juice you give them.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont