News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler Conversion

Started by dustyd, December 21, 2013, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyd

Hi all - I have a new 4-4-0 engine & old Bachmann cars (Old Time Union Pacific passenger cars from the 1980's) & the couplers are different. What's involved in changing them over to the newer coupler design & what parts will I need?

Thanks!

jbrock27

I suggest going to the KADEE website and look for their Conversion Chart for your cars.  This will direct you on what kind of draft gear box you will need to mount a "new" knuckle style coupler as well as the kind of coupler: for example, undershank, centershank or overshank.  You can then decide from there whether you want to use KADEE or EZ Mate Mark II (with spring) couplers.  I use both, many prefer KADEE but I personally have yet to have a problem with operation of EZ Mate Mark IIs or McHenry of the same style for that matter (I believe they are made at the same factory even).
As far as the old B-Mann passenger cars, I don't know them as I never had them, but if they are set up like the old B-Mann freight cars, then you are looking at mounting coupler draft boxes to the car for the new couplers as well as perhaps replacing or at the very least, modifying, the wheelsets.  A lot more involved.  I have used a standard KADEE #242 draft gear box for almost all freight car conversations.
I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

One further thought.  To be sure the height of the new couplers and possibly new wheels, is the right height, you would want to check the coupler against a KADEE coupler height gauge or the coupler gauge that is part of the NMRA track gauge too.  KADEE makes 2 styles of these gauges: one metal, one plastic (for HO anyway).  I have the plastic just in case I put it on the track and have forgotten to turn off the power :-[
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Dusty-

Coupler conversions aren't very difficult though, as jbrock mentioned, they do need to be installed within specifications. Kadee is the gold standard for HO operating couplers and I heartily endorse his suggestion that you go there right from the get.

If recollection serves (and at my age it often doesn't even get up with me in the morning, much less serve) the Bachmann old-time cars (circa 1800s) came with Talgo trucks, i.e., trucks with an attached beam to which the couplers were mounted. That is a bad idea in every way. Although Kadee does sell some Talgo trucks, I would urge you to simply cut off the existing coupler beams and use new Kadee draft gear (the box in which couplers are mounted) on the undersides of your car bodies. You will experience much better tracking and coupling, especially when backing your trains. Be sure to install the Kadees within the spacing specified for the best performance. If you don't, you should expect many constant problems with coupling.

I also urge you to replace your wheel sets (one wheelset equals two wheels and their axle) with ones with metal wheels. Tracking will improve and your rails will stay cleaner longer.

My comments above reflect my understanding of "old time" to mean 19th Century equipment which you believe was made in the 1980s. If you meant that your cars are "old time" because they are models of 1980s equipment, I'm highly insulted. I'm a whole lot older than the 1980s so your suggestion that 1980 equals old time must mean that I am something distinctly more aged than an antique. A fossil, even. But, you should ignore my comments about converting your trucks and couplers above if models of 1980s equipment was what you meant by "old time." If you have modern equipment, with the strongest possible accent on modern, you won't have Talgo trucks so you'll just need to install Kadees in the existing draft gear and you won't have to concern yourself with removing the coupler beams. Installing your couplers within specifications and using metal wheels, however, are still very important.

Welcome to this board. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                                 -- resentful Old Timer