News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Age of train folk

Started by TurboOne59, December 18, 2013, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboOne59

I am your typical model train user. Over 50. What does everyone think about the future of the business in 20 years? I don't see a lot of kids at the train shows anymore.

jbrock27

Video games, Social Media like FACEBOOK, things like Minecraft, seem to be attracting the attention of kids instead these days.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

I frankly think that most of the traditional craft hobbies (trains, model aircraft, ships, etc.)  are going to have the same tough time down the road.  The wired, instant gratifcation world of young people is not condusive to the kind of detail work we like to indulge in.

TurboOne59

I was thinking that many kids like thomas the train and have the wooden systems. Wouldn't a lot of those transfer over. Not a lot of non train stores seem to have train sets like when i was a kid.

jbrock27

I think you both make good points.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Philc40

In a month I'll be hitting 60, I've been model railroading since the late 50's, its been a great ride!
I would say that in the last 10 to 12 years we have been in the "Golden Age of Model Railroading",
it is at its pinnacle and I'm sure glad that I have been involved.

"If I can't fix it, It isn't broke"

Irbricksceo

As someone who is days away from being 18, I can attest that it IS still alive among the young, but I know very few who share this interest. Having been into it since I was doing wooden railway with thomas, I can say this: I got into it through my grandfather, the best way to keep it alive is to introduce our children, someday in the distant future, when I have kids of my own, I'll be trying to get them into trains too. Keeping this hobby alive is  a noble cause!
Modeling NYC in N

Bucksco

Attend one of the World's Greatest Hobby on Tour shows and you will see that children and families are still interested in model railways.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I am 21 and I have been into model trains since I was about 3 years old and I don't see myself losing interest ever. As long as there model train makers in business making models, I am good to go.

jward

I think part of the problem is that many companies, bachmann is not one of them, have forsaken the low end of the market and concentrated on the high end. a newcomer is not going to spend $500 on just the locomotive, another $500 on the control system, plus $60 apiece for freight cars, $200 each for building that take months to assemble, etc.

Bachmann is to be commended for upping the quality of what they offer, compared to what they made 20 years ago, while keeping the prices reasonable. they provide a good entry to the hobby, with equipment that is durable enough to last years end runs well enough you won't feel the need to replace your fleet. 

I think the hobby magazines need to be a better source of inspiration, like they were in the 1970s. I find the fill in the blanks layout articles, and the our way is the only way approach to modeling to be boring to the point I rarely buy the magazines anymore. there are many creative solutions to problems out there but 99% of them are ignored by the hobby press.

this forum is one of the bright spots in the hobby. we can all learn from each other. we run the gamut here, from newbies to people in the hobby for 40-50 years.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Part of it's marketing. The train store my repair shop is in has a large multiscale layout in the courtyard of the shopping complex we're in. No shortage of young folks coming into the store after seeing that.

It used to be just about every hobby shop had a display layout, at least around the holidays if not the rest of the year. Now almost none of them do, and I believe that lack does affect model train sales.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Desertdweller

I hope this hobby will be around for future generations.  It is so enjoyable it would be a shame if people in the future did not get a chance to take part.

I am 64 and retired.  This has been my major (but not sole) hobby since 1968.

The part that causes me the most concern is that young people are not exposed to railroading nearly as much as when I was growing up.  If the young people do not relate to trains, it will be difficult to expect a lot of them to take up model trains for a hobby.

Another problem is the cost of getting started.  Bachmann has not abandoned the newcomers, but many manufacturers have.  Many new model railroaders get involved while still in school.  They do not have hundreds of dollars to spend to see if they like a new hobby.  Even those that do have many alternate hobbies to choose from" just look at what is available in radio control hobbies.

The lack of the traditional hobby shops are also a problem.  We need more "brick and mortar" hobby stores where a train set can be purchased (maybe for Christmas or a birthday), and still be around the rest of the year for advice and items to expand and upgrade the original purchase.

Les

jbrock27

What I have observed at train shows, is young kids being pushed around by one parent or the other in a stroller or other sort of carrier, middle aged men and old timers, with a few teenage or elementary school kids and some young adults mixed in.  But disproportionately, I see mostly middle age to older men making up the huge majority of train show attendees.  I don't see many "kids".
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Turned 72 back in April. Macular degeneration in left eye no long allow close up work.
Can still drive a car with no problem.
Moving on. Enjoyed it a lot over the years.
I only arm chair trains now.
I now ride a bicycle along twenty miles of rail trails in my area. I also ride a bike with girlfriend who lives about forty miles away and has quite a few rail trails in her area. Winter months are the downside but I have a exercise bike. Just don't go anywhere. lol
Gave away Lionel and Marx trains to nephew's six year old son.
Gave large scale Bachmann to son in law for his two sons when they get older. Both grand sons have Thomas wood set. Finding Thomas stuff at tag sales a lot.
Giving my NCE Power Cab and some Bachmann sound locos, rolling stock to my girlfriend's ten year old grandson who has a HO layout.
No more Big E train shows. It was great while it lasted. No regrets.
The world is evolving, maybe not like we would like it to.
Change is a constant.

Rich

jbrock27

Sorry you're not going to the Big E.
And you know I had said I was sorry some time ago, to learn about your macular degeneration. :(
Keep Calm and Carry On