Soundtraxx Tsunami DCC sound decoder. No Work.

Started by Tiddles, December 19, 2013, 08:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddles

I Got a very nice Bachmann 4-4-0 Richmond with factory fitted sound.

I got the loco very cheap $50 plus shipping to UK because it is/was a non runner.
When the loco is put on the track I get the stem hiss/pumping sound of  the air pump. I do not know the loco address.

The fault is the decoder.

I put in a blanking plug and the loco run very nicely on DC. I then put in a standard Bachmann decoder and again the loco ran very nicely.

My Digitrax Zephyr can not detect/read the decoder.

bapguy

Cut and paste this  http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB33/programming-soundtraxx-tsunami-decoders-with-digit/
It tells how to program Soundtraxx decoders with your Zypher.  Or try a 1K Ohm resister across the programming track. Reset the decoder to factory settings CV8= 8. This will set the decoder to address 3 Joe

Tiddles

Quote from: bapguy on December 19, 2013, 09:43:07 AM

Cut and paste this  http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB33/programming-soundtraxx-tsunami-decoders-with-digit/
It tells how to program Soundtraxx decoders with your Zypher.  Or try a 1K Ohm resister across the programming track. Reset the decoder to factory settings CV8= 8. This will set the decoder to address 3 Joe

Thanks Joe.

I did try that but did not work. But I was able to reset the address using my EZ Command so the loco now runs but keeps cutting out ::)

John.

richg

Maybe you have to define, cutting out for your issue.
Generally cutting out means intermittent DCC pickup. Dirty track usually.
The microprocessor on the decoder will reset with a slight interruption of the DCC signal.
A slight interruption when the loco is run with the adapter will usually not be noticed.

Rich

Hunt

John,

Perhaps you missed, "Track power must be on during Blast Mode Programming."

The Digitrax KB33 : Programming Soundtraxx SoundTraxx Tsunami Decoders with Digitrax Zephyr first part has omitted a step.
To use Blast Mode Programming with Zephyr, close Option Switch 7.
1. Press the "PROG" key.
2. Press the "SWCH" key.
3. Press "7".
4. Press the "c" key (located just below the "9" key).
5. Press the "EXIT" key.
>> >  add step  >>>               Press "POWER" key to restore power to track.
6. Program the Tsunami decoder using Direct (dir) mode.  Be sure that ONLY the loco with the Tsunami decoder is on the track during programming!!

Here follow the rest of the KB33 instructions.

Tiddles

Thanks Hunt I will give that a try.

The loco dose stall on points when using the Zephyr but it dose not when using the EZ Command.
I know the EZ puts out more track voltage than the Digitrax. Maybe the Tsunami needs that extra boost.