News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis Pro Box problem

Started by RonWalker, December 19, 2013, 09:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonWalker

I have just added a Pro Box to my Dynamis system, hoping that I would be able to read CVs. Unfortunately this is not happening. I go to "Programme on service track" When CV 0 flashes I scroll to CV 3 and when 3 flashes I press the value button and put in 10 and then accept. "Programming" shows and the loco jerks. I backspace to run the loco and all is well.
if I repeat the process, the value of 0 is shown, not the 10 that I put in. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, or is there a fault with my Pro Box.

AGSB

We need a little more information to respond to this query correctly. What make of decoder are you trying to programme? Read the instruction sheet for the decoder. It may not accept the default "Direct Mode" of programming in the Dynamis and you will have to change the programming mode of the Dynamis in the System Menu. I doubt it would be that, as all newer decoders allow Direct programming.

One thing you might try is, instead of backing out of the programming menu with the joystick to run the engine, press the cancel button below the "x" on the screen, this seems to be the only discrepancy between what you are doing and the direction given in the Dynamis Guide. Pressing the "cancel" button at this point does not cancel your programming but cancels the menu that you are currently viewing.

Hunt

Surmise you have not placed the system in Read mode.

The 'Address Read' item on the Handset menu is used to determine the address (long or short) of the locomotive decoder currently on the Service Track.

RonWalker

Thank you both for your replies. I will try your suggestions and get back to you. The problem is the same with decoders from Bachmann, Hornby and Digitrax.

RonWalker

Hello again.
Two things might be relevant. First, I can read the loco`s address on the service track, so I presume that I must be in Read Mode? Second, after the "Programming" shows on the handset, the value that I have put in is shown. Perhaps I am expecting too much to hope that when I go to change a CV I am shown the current value?
Incidentally, I use the"X" button to return to train control. I am not sure how I would do it with the joystick.
I tried to discover what programming mode I was in, but could find no reference in the system menu to mode change.
I would be very interested to hear your comments when you have a spare moment.

AGSB

In your initial post you state,"I backspace to run the loco". You either backspace with the Joystick or the Delete Key.

In the menu there are 2 different choices for Read CV on Service Track and Program CV on Service Track.

Hunt

Quote from: RonWalker on December 20, 2013, 12:02:36 PM
I tried to discover what programming mode I was in, but could find no reference in the system menu to mode change.
Refer to page 19 - Dynamis User Guide, Edit Service Track Programing

The default programing setting is Direct Mode

AGSB

OK, I have reread the Dynamis User's manual 3 times and played with my own system for an hour. I have no problems.
So let me ask some questions,

Are you set up correctly;
1. A Programming/Service Track electrically separated from the layout and connected to the original Dynamis controller. 
2.The Dynamis Pro box connected to the layout.
3. Are you powering up in the correct sequence - control boxes then the handset.

If all this is correct then I suggest removing the Pro Box and program the CV. Replace the Pro Box and read the CV to see if the change took effect. If yes, then it would indicate some problem/conflict with the Pro Box. If not, I'm stumped. Time to call Bachmann  for some technical assistance.

RonWalker

Me again,
Yes, all 3 of your check points are correct. I would do as you have suggested, but therein lies the problem. You say "Read the CV to see if the change has been effected" But I am not able to read the CV value This is the nub of the matter.
i must be very dim, and at 86 years of age I suppose I have some excuse, but you previously said that the menu gives 2 different choices, to read or to programme on the service track. I can not find the read option and clicking "Programme on Service Track" takes me straight to the write option. Looking at page 25 of the manual, I can find no option there to read the CV value. Can you please explain exactly how you get to the read option.
Yours, getting desperate, Ron.

AGSB

Ron, you're going to have to wait for a few days before I can answer. My Dynamis is a Christmas present. Even though I have been playing with it for 2 weeks, my wife grabbed it this morning and wrapped it to go under the tree.

I can't remember what the exact menu choices are to get to Read the CV on Program Track are.

Have you watched this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVN8ckWoi8I

RonWalker

Hi,
Yes, I have watched many of the videos on that site and found them interesting, but they did not solve my particular problem.
Have a great Christmas.
Ron.

AGSB

Here is another video on programming with the Dynamis. At the 6 minute mark he shows how to read a CV value and reprogram it. If you are doing all this and it is not working I think it is time to put a call into Bachmann Tech Services.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq7YqFoGuSY

RonWalker

No, I had not seen that particular video and it has answered all my problems. I can now read the CV values! Just a matter of pressing buttons in the correct order.
I really am most grateful for all the time you have taken to help me.
We can now consider the thread closed and a very merry Christmas to you and all the other helpers.
Yours, Ron.

AGSB

Glad it all worked out. Merry Christmas to you also.