News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pilot Truck won't stay in track

Started by tiv1sys, December 22, 2013, 10:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiv1sys

I have a White Christmas Express Steam Train - model 90076. The front pilot trucks on the engine will not stay in the track. The engine and rest of the train stay on the track, it just makes a lot of noise. The direction arrow is pointed in the right direction.

The front pilot trucks use a spring to keep contact to the track. The train has been rarely used.

Any suggestions on how to correct?

Bob

Loco Bill

As far as the pilot truck goes, sometimes the wires that go to the truck get caught up and get in the way and the truck will not swing in the slot.  I just use a very small screwdriver to push the wires up and out of the way. I also use a little plastic compatible white grease on the slot. some use a lead weight to hold down the truck, but if the wires are in the way that will not help.

What exactly is making the noise?  Is the motor running and the wheels not turning? If that is the noise then the gears may be stripped. If so you could send it in for service or buy one of the replacement chassis.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

tiv1sys

Thanks Bill. I took a closer look and I believe the wires are the problem. The pilot wheels usually jump out of the track on turns.

The noise is just the pilot wheels outside the track.

Thanks again,

Bob

veetwelve

Hi Bob,

Check out this link for all sorts of tips on the Big Hauler, including its propensity to derail due to issues with the pilot truck.  One of the major issues seems to be that the distance between the flanges on the pilot truck wheels may be a bit too wide, and this causes the pilot truck to climb off the track in turns.

Good luck!
Jay

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#derailments