News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

short coach and combine

Started by on30vince, December 23, 2013, 12:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30vince

Would anyone else like to see short coach and combine produced that would go well with the 18' cars?
Vince

ksivils

I would spring for a pair immediately!

The famous John Allen combine would be a nice starting point!

I would bet the On3 guys would spring for quite a few for converting to On3 - at least the freelancers and short line modelers would.

Royce Wilson

I bet a short coach and combine would be a real hit with the On30 folks,I remember the John Allen versions and they were much copied over the years.

Royce

lvrr325

Not that hard to just make if you need them. 

Stevelewis

I was  under  the  impression  that  the  current  range  of  passenger  cars   are  already under  scale  length!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

on30vince

I was thinking of something like 30' and narrow like the 18' cars.
Vince

Stevelewis

That  would  be  hardly  worth  the  tooling  costs  I would  think!

Considering that    the  current passenger cars  are 223mm long over  the  balcony  ends  that  scales up to  approx 32'long at  the 0n30 scale  of  7mm= 1'

The  width of the  cars is   47mm which is only  around 5mm wider  that the width of  an 18ft freight  car.,

I would  ffeel that  Bachmann  would  gain more  sales if they  were  to market a passenger car  nearer to scale  length, but  given  tooling  costs  and  the  cuurrent  slow sales in the  hobby markets  I don't  think  theres any  chance if it happening.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Royce Wilson

So would you go for a short four wheel caboose? 8)

Royce

Royce Wilson

The Sierra Railroad in California was a standard gauge railroad but the Angles branch had such sharp curves so they had a short combine and coach,if you take a look at the Roundhouse overton HO coach and combine they were copied after the Sierra Railroad.

Royce

RGS Goose

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of the On30 modellers out there.
I would definitely go for a number of short 4 wheel cabeese in D&RGW, RGS and C&S, even though they wouldn't be prototypical. The usual story about that is " It's my railroad, and even though I want to represent these railroads, I will run what I fancy". On30 for these roads obviously isn't prototypical anyway, but it is great equipment, and is affordable.
Happy railroading,
RGS Goose.

Royce Wilson

I did not mean to hijack this link so I am sorry and may all of you have a merry christmas.

Royce

Hamish K

I would love to see Bachmann produce shorty passenger cars. I suggest that  they should be in the 20-24 foot range. While many american 3 foot gauge cars such as in Colorado and the Maine 2 foot cars gauge were considerably longer, there are prototypes for such cars. In Queensland, Australia the Buderim tramway, a 30 inch gauge line, had a 20 foot 6 inch long passenger car, and a number of 2 foot gauge lines had passenger cars around 24 foot 6 inches in length. I've no doubt there were many others around the world. In the USA the Gilpin tram had 21 foot excursion cars (they had no other passenger cars) and the Yosemite Short lines proposed passenger cars would have been short, their freight cars were 18 foot! There may have been others.

So shorty passenger cars are quite plausible, at least for a freelance layout.

Hamish

ksivils

These might be better with the inside frame 4-4-0, and even the OF 4-4-0. I think they would be a really nice addition to the rolling stock line.

railexpert

Hi,

Stevelewis wrote:
- Considering that the current passenger cars are 223mm long over the balcony ends that scales up to approx 32'long at the 0n30 scale of 7mm=1' –

That is wrong.
The American O-scale is 1:48; 1' equates ¼" = 6,35 mm. The cars are in original 35' long.
(The British O-scale is 1:43,5; 1' equates 7 mm)

For more information about scale and gauge see
Bachmann Message Board - FAQ's - On30 - What is On30? and
National Model Railroad Association NMRA http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/consist.html

Railexpert  8)