News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound levels

Started by rabbibgr, December 23, 2013, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbibgr

My new 4-6-0 Spectrum has sound which works ok. All I want to do is increase the volume a bit. Reading the DVD that came with the unit is more than I can handle, It seems that you need to be a computer programmer to make changes. Isn't there a simple control you can just turn.

Merry Christmas to all

Reinhard S

Hi rabbibgr.

Not sure if you have one but, you will require a DCC system capable of changing CV's.  The sound decoder (if factory installed by Bachmann) is a Soundtraxx Tsunami.  The CV for the master volume is CV128 set at a default setting of 255 which, I believe, is the Max setting.  You can experiment with this CV to see which volume level best suits.  Here is the link which lists all the CV's for this particular locomotive.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/ho4-6-0.pdf

Merry Christmas

Reinhard 

Hunt

While CV 128 - Master Volume Control is set to 255, maximum volume in the 4-6-0, some individual sounds CVs are not and their volume can be increased.

Click Here for list of the support CVs used in the 4-6-0 and their factory default value.

Use the Configuration Variable Defaults list with Modifying the Sound Effects instructions starting on page 35 of the Tsunami Steam Sound User's Guide.    Click Here for Tsunami Steam Sound User's Guide

Realize not everything cover by these instructions is supported by the decoder in the Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotive.

If you screw-up how the locomotive sounds (easy to do)  ---  Program CV 8 with 8 and recycle the power to the locomotive to reset all the CVs in the decoder to their factory default value.

Hunt

Quote from: rabbibgr on December 23, 2013, 06:06:49 PM
. . .
Reading the DVD that came with the unit is more than I can handle, It seems that you need to be a computer programmer to make changes. Isn't there a simple control you can just turn.
. . .

An aside to my 'how-to using what is available' reply,

rabbibgr.
Locate someone with the knowhow to do it for you, but better yet, have them help you with over-the-shoulder supervision while you do it. It is not as hard as you think once you get from a mindset of I can't to I'll try.   ;)

Hunt

Another aside: Several folks have connected me reminding me of a suggestion I gave that helped them.

May not be applicable for you.  Increasing the sound level can be done by placing new batteries in the hear aid and adjusting the volume on it.  ;D

rogertra

Sound louder????

Geeze, I turn all my decoders down, otherwise the noise is deafening with some 20 plus steam and diesels on the railway at the present time.

My rule is no chuff nor diesel sounds from more than around four feet or so.  I only want operators to hear the engine they are running, not the other 20+ locos in the room.

There's another 25 or so awaiting sound decoders.  :)

Hunt

Quote from:  Hunt -
Voice Recognition Software Edit

Another aside: Several folks have connected contacted me reminding me of a suggestion I gave that helped them.

May not be applicable for you.  Increasing the sound level can be done by placing new batteries in the hear aid hearing aid and adjusting the volume on it.   ;D