News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann night before christmas G

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, December 22, 2013, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAMPBELL LYNN

Howdy, finally after 2 years have my Bachmann G running...yeh..anyway, I put a 9 volt battery in the Tender to make the "chug, chug" sound...but, no sound comes out....I am not sure if there is a switch or not...HELP PLEASE :)

Joe Zullo

There is a switch just to the right of where you plug in the tender wire. It must be down to engage the sound. Also double check the battery polarity. It is possible to reverse it upon installation. The + is on the right. One more thing to check is that you have the tender plug securely and correctly inserted into the locomotive. Best of luck.

Loco Bill

This is a commom pronlem,

Here is a response given to another person s few days ago:

The most common problem is that even though you think you have a fresh battery installed, it may be to weak to trigger the sound.  Batteries direct from the store also may not be fresh.  If the battery is tested and found good, make sure the battery is installed in the holder correctly( it is easy to reverse the polarity) and the that the door closes completely and the little latch is locked. Be sure the chuff sensor or "sound" wire between the tender and loco is firmly attached. Also be sure the red sound switch on the loco is on and the sound switch under the tender is on and turned all the way up. The loco must be moving for the sound.  here are the instructions in case you lost yours:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf

To test the sound in the tender, carefully remove the "sound"plug between the loco and tender.  Take a thin piece of fine wire and bend it in a U shape and stick the ends in the holes on the ends of the plug.  Each time you do this you should get a chuff sound.  Make sure you push the wires in far enough. If you followed the above stuff on the battery and switches and still do NOT get a chuff sound then you may want to check the inside of the tender.  There are four screws under it which hold the shell to the floor.

If you do get a chuff doing this test the tender is fine and you can plug it back into the loco and try again. if it still does not work, the problem is in the locomotive not the tender.

Let me know how it goes, and we can go from there.

Good luck!

bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products