News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reviews of engines/locos

Started by ftauss, September 20, 2007, 12:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftauss

I was wondering if there were any websites that did "independent" reviews of at least engines. i actually found one for N scale stuff, and as a static modeler of aircraft, tanks, etc there are quite a few that will attest to the accuracy and ease of assembly of kits.

I'm curious about two models. Bachmann's FT A?B and the Proto 1000 F3 A/B. I have found both on sale at really good prices. Both have a DCC decoder instaledd in both A and B unit. Neither is in a roadname that I can really use as I am mixing real with freelance so markings are not an issue as i will be painting and remarking them.

The FT is dead on for my era ie WWII home front, though my road probably didn't really have one, I'm taking a liberty. The F3 is postwar but again if you're freelancing a bit...

If you could buy only one set? I'm leaning toward the FT on cost and correctness for period, but is to good a deal not a deal? $50 for an FTA/B powered and decoders in both. The Proto 1K is $62 for same thing F3A/B powered and with the plugs but not the decoders in both.

Note: I have not committed to DCC yet, but the new engines I'm buying will have the plugs at least, just in case I decide to go for it. I understand these will work with either DC or DCC. What is more important is sound, I am becoming fascinated by the idea of having quality sound coming from my engines steam or diesel.

Your thoughts?

Frank

r.cprmier

On mixing prototype and freelance:
I do it all the time; steam and second generation oil power, too!
If it grabs you, do it. 
There is a fellow who ran a picture in MR some years back, of an FT ABBA in New Haven livery.  This guy lives around the Hopewell Junction, NY area, so he would certainly be qualified as knowledgeable; yet to the best of my knowledge, the New Haven never owned FTs of any type; in fact, with the exception of the FL9, any other cab unit was a product of ALCO, Westinghouse/Baldwin, or GE.
So, never fear; the Prototype Police won't come and snatch you away in the night for being self-indulgent with your own jing and time...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Craig

I don't know of any independent reviewers but I happen to own several of each locomotive. The Proto units are superb; after buying two I bought four more. The Bachmann units aren't as smooth or sophisticated mechanism-wise but they do run very well. The price is excellent.