Bachmann buy Williams Trains?

Started by gbbari, September 20, 2007, 04:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbbari

Did Bachmann just acquire Williams Trains?  Heard a rumor from my dealer today.

Conrail Quality

This doesn't seem like the way Bachmann operates. They already have an established brand identity, they don't need another one. Besides, why would they need or want to go into O scale anyway? It's a much different world than G or especially HO and N.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

I would think that the only reason Bachmann would acquire Williams Trains.  That would be, is there money to be made.  Jerry Willliam started the company in 1971.  That is 36 years ago.  It may be that he is now old and feels it is best to sell out.  Dealers come up with all kinds of information.  Some of it is correct, while a lot of it is false.

Hamish K

Quote from: Conrail Quality on September 20, 2007, 09:20:34 PM
This doesn't seem like the way Bachmann operates. They already have an established brand identity, they don't need another one.

I have no idea whether Bachmann might acquire Williams trains or not. However Bachmann has bought existing companieis and kept their brand name in the past. Bachmann acquired Liliput in Germany, this was how they entered the German market. It is still called Liliput. In the UK Bachmann established Bachmann  Branchlines selling OO scale trains. Later they expanded into N scale by purchasing the long established Graham Farish and have kept the Graham Farish name.

So, if Bachmann  did want to expand into US O standard gauge they might do so by purchasing an existing brand if it was available. Does Bachmann wish to do this? I have no idea!

Hamish

gbbari

Quote from: Conrail Quality on September 20, 2007, 09:20:34 PM
This doesn't seem like the way Bachmann operates. They already have an established brand identity, they don't need another one. Besides, why would they need or want to go into O scale anyway? It's a much different world than G or especially HO and N.

I could think of one reason: Bachmann already has a US-profile O-scale line of Plasticville buildings, but no O-gauge trains. If the price was right, why not acquire a quality line like Williams if it became available?  It's at least plausible. 

Hoping the Bach-man might chime in here... ;D

the Bach-man

Dear gb,
There's been no such announcement from Philadelphia to date. If there is an announcement, we will certainly post it here.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

O-gaugetrains

Quote from: the Bach-man on September 21, 2007, 12:09:25 AM
Dear gb,

There's been no such announcement from Philadelphia to date.

If there is an announcement, we will certainly post it here.

Have fun!

the Bach-man

Mark your calendar for a possible announcement on October 18th at the  I-Hobby expo in Chicago, Illinois.

Bachmann Industries, Inc.

Dear all,

Yes, we are talking with Williams, but at this time nothing has been finalized.  If/when a formal aggreement is reached, we will make an official announcement. In the meantime, enjoy your trains!

Best regards,
Bachmann Industries, Inc.

Conrail Quality

This is apparently from a letter from Jerry Williams to dealers. It seems to be legitimate, since I've seen several copies of the same exact letter on various websites. It this letter is true, it seems to me that some sort of tenative agreement, at least, was made.

Dear Williams Dealer:

"I have some important news. After 35 years, I have decided to retire from the model train business. Recently, I was approached by Bachmann Industries, and after careful consideration have decided to sell the company to them. The settlement date has not been finalized, but we expect it to be on or about September 30, 2007. Bachmann Industries has been in business since 1833 and has an impressive line of trains and accessories. Their Plasticville structures will perfectly compliment the Golden Memories Line.

All of your contact information has been given to Bachmann and company representatives will be contacting each dealer to give you more details and answer questions. They value your business as much as we do and will try to make this transition as smooth as possible. Additionally, Larry Harrington, my General Manager, will be joining Bachmann and will continue working on the O gauge line..."

NOTE: This is not the complete text of the letter. The rest contains wholesale contact information for the dealers.

Signed
Jerry Williams
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

gbbari

Thanks CQ.  My dealer must have gotten that letter.  I can appreciate Bachmann not wanting to make an official announcement here until all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed on the agreements and transition plans.

Seems my Plasticville justification wasn't original!  :D.

Good for Bachmann and good for O-gaugers. I owned a Williams Canadian Pacific passenger train in the early 1980s and it was very nice - extruded aluminum cars w/ interior lighting that were similar to the old Lionel models. My son loved it and they got played hard - and never broke. The F-7 AA engines were fine too. Of course that was 3-rail O on standard tinplate track. That stuff runs forever.

AL

Hamish K

Assuming Bachmann does end up buying Williams it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Williams makes 3 rail only, some reproductions of old Lionel models, other variously described as O-27, semi-scale or scale. At one stage they made highly detailed scale limited edition 3 rail models under the Crown Edition label. (I have no personal knowledge of their trains, I live in Australia where US 3 rail is rare).

I would expect Bachmann to continue with 3 rail "Lionel-like" models, this seems to be a sugnficant part of the US market and Bachmann probably wants a slice of it. And it fits in with the Plasticville range.

Of course Bachmann's  other involvement with (US) O scale is their ON30 range. From time to time there have been suggestions that Bachmann should produce O scale standard gauge to complement the ON30 range. Perhaps Bachmann could use the Williams purchase (if it does happen) to introduce a more detailed scale range, available in both 2 and 3 rail, suitable for use together with ON30. As I indicated I would see any such range as being sold alongside a 3 rail only range based on the existing Williams models and not a replacement for it.

Just my thoughts

Hamish

Guilford Guy

Since Williams makes Golden Memories Sets, maybe we will have some plasticville buildings included with these sets for a more 50's feel.
Alex

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Dusten Barefoot

O-scale is a great addition to the bachmann line, especially for the On30ers on the line.
Hope you get Williams
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Tom Lapointe

QuoteWilliams makes 3 rail only, some reproductions of old Lionel models, other variously described as O-27, semi-scale or scale. At one stage they made highly detailed scale limited edition 3 rail models under the Crown Edition label. (I have no personal knowledge of their trains, I live in Australia where US 3 rail is rare).

Hamish, Williams also made some 2-rail (DC) O-scale locos as well.  Although I've been inactive in O-scale for about 15 years or so, I still have a half-dozen 2-rail O scale brass locos sitting around in boxes; one of them is a Williams streamlined  :o PRR K4s Pacific, modelled after PRR 1120 (NOT the "Torpedo" style shroud).  It was a very nice running loco! ;D

I think it'll be GREAT news for the O-scale community if Bachmann acquires Williams! ;)                                                                         Tom