Bachmann buy Williams Trains?

Started by gbbari, September 20, 2007, 04:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I am thrilled at the possibility of the purchase.  Our local club runs Williams. They are considered to be fine runners, good detail and bullet proof.  Well done!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Garfield

I hope that this means that mass market retailers that carry Bachmann sets now (Hobby Lobby, Meijer and others) might start carrying the Williams / Bachmann Items.  I love my 3 rail O stuff but it tends to be hard to find and pricey when you can find it.  It would be worth it for Bachmann to sell more traditional O gauge trains to make more customers for there Plasticville line.

Whatever happens I think this is good news for the Hobby and operators like my self , who like good operating traditional sized O gage equipment and   don't want to pay 40% more for an orange and blue box.

Garfield

So.....
Mr. Bach-Man , anything you can officially tell us?
How about unofficially?
Are you going to add an O gauge section on the message board?

Keep us posted
Thanks

PARAWULF

I am fairly worried about this merger. I buy williams for the fact that I don't need or want the DCS or TMCC in my trains. I also liked the fact the Williams left the catalog mostly unchanged from year to year so I didn't have to go nuts trying to fill out my fleet with the worry of "It won't be in the catalog next year!"

Also, what about the orders that are on backorder? Williams owes me a complete UP heritage set.

amdaylight

Quote from: PARAWULF on October 13, 2007, 02:18:18 PM
I am fairly worried about this merger. I buy williams for the fact that I don't need or want the DCS or TMCC in my trains. I also liked the fact the Williams left the catalog mostly unchanged from year to year so I didn't have to go nuts trying to fill out my fleet with the worry of "It won't be in the catalog next year!"

Also, what about the orders that are on backorder? Williams owes me a complete UP heritage set.

I found this on the Williams Web site today:

"Due to the pending sale of the company to Bachmann Industries, we are no longer accepting orders. Many of our dealers have an ample supply of product and you may be able to find what you are looking for through one of them. Click here to locate a dealer.

Frequently asked questions:

Q: I have several items items on backorder (either direct or with a   dealer). Will I still get my train?
    A: YES! All backorders will be filled by Bachmann when the production of the item is complete.

Q: I need parts or service for my train. What do I do?
    A: Warranty and repair issues will be handled by Bachmann, however it will take a few weeks to get the parts and service equipment in place. Please visit this site for updated information.

Q: I am a Platinum Club member. Is my membership still valid?
    A: Yes, you receive updated information regarding the Platinum Club by mail.

Q: I have a billing question, what do I do?
    A: Please call 410-997-7766 and leave your name and daytime telephone number, your call will be returned.
"

I think this answers you question about you back order, as to the DCS and the TMCC question I don't think you will have any thing to worry about there for a while as it will take Bachmann a little while to get things straightened out and by then there may a whole different direction that they might go in, namely a DCC system rather that a proprietary system from a Competitor.

Regards,
Andre :) :)

Guilford Guy

Quote from: PARAWULF on October 13, 2007, 02:18:18 PM

This is what you should really be worried about...
QuoteQ: I need parts or service for my train. What do I do?
    A: Warranty and repair issues will be handled by Bachmann, however it will take a few weeks to get the parts and service equipment in place. Please visit this site for updated information.
We all know how quickly the service dept handles HO, ON30, N and G...
Alex

Dr EMD

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
PHILADELPHIA, PA . . . Mr. Jerry Williams, President/Owner of Williams Electric Trains, Columbia, MD and Mr. Bud Reece, Senior Vice President Sales & Marketing, along with Mr. Ed Winter, Senior Vice President Finance & Operations, Bachmann Industries, Inc., Philadelphia, PA announce the acquisition of the assets of Williams Electric Trains.

After 35 years, Mr. Jerry Williams decided to retire from the model railroad business. Bud Reece had contacted Mr. Williams a year earlier and planted the seed for the possibility of this acquisition. Bachmann has been in business since 1833 and has an extensive line of model trains and accessories in HO, N, On30, and Large Scale. Reece observed that the Williams O gauge 3-rail fits perfectly into the Bachmann family and complements the O scale Plasticville® U.S.A. buildings that Bachmann has been producing for 60 years.

Reece is very pleased to also announce that Mr. Larry Harrington, General Manager of Williams for several years, will be joining the Bachmann team as General Manager of the O gauge division. "I am very happy that Larry will be joining us, since his experience and background in the 3-rail market and Williams in particular will be invaluable to us."

"We at Bachmann feel that the Williams brand is very important in the 3-rail market place. We will continue to use and promote the Williams name as "Williams by Bachmann" to capitalize on both brand names. With the help of Larry Harrington, we plan to expand the availability of Williams by Bachmann products by supporting both the current Williams dealers and our national distributors. We will certainly continue to honor warranties from Williams, and we also hope to continue the Platinum Club on a modified program, yet to be determined, plus offer and expand the club to all of our Bachmann family."

"We couldn’t have asked for a nicer gentleman than Mr. Jerry Williams to work with during the negotiation of this acquisition. Not only his patience and understanding, but his friendship, are greatly appreciated. I am very pleased that Mr. Williams has voluntarily agreed to council with Bachmann, and I for one will certainly take him up on that offer," assured Reece. 

For sales information, contact Williams by Bachmann via email (sales@bachmanntrains.com), phone (l-215-533-1600), or mail (Williams by Bachmann, 1400 E. Erie Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19124).

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Well, today's press release should answer all the immediate questions. I'm in the process of learning as much as I can about the line in order to become more conversant with it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

PARAWULF

Well, We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I'm still nervous, though. I love the William's product and I'd hate to see Williams by Bachman become just another O-guage 3 rail company.

I've been buying from Williams for quite a while and as I said before I like the fact that I can count on getting the roadnames of the locos and that the catalog didn't change all that much from year to year.

I still really hope I'm not forced to buy DCC, DCS or TMCC technology in my trains.

Hamish K

So far Bachmann has not forced people to buy expensive features they may not want. Where locomotives are DCC equipped these locos also operate on straight DC without alteration. The decoders fitted are low cost and appear to add little or nothing to the cost of the loco. The DCC and Sound versions do cost rather more but, so far at least, versions without sound are also made. I hope Bachmann keeps up this approach, including for Williams.  (I know 3 rail AC is a bit different, I am not sure whether the DCC for no extra cost approach is possible for it.)

It will be interesting to see where Bachmann takes the Williams line. One possibility would be a more scale line of products, possibly available in 2 as well as 3 rail. Willams at one time made such locos. This could have some appeal to ON30 modellers wishing to add standard gauge to their narrow gauge empires as well as others. However if such a line were introduced I would expect it to be additional to the  Williams line of traditional 3 rail and not a replacement for it. I am sure that Bachmann bought Williams in order  to get a slice of the traditional 3 rail market.

Hamish

PARAWULF

It seems like Bachman's track record with aquired companies is "don't fix it if it ain't broke."

As for adding scale steamers and such to the line, I think it would be great.  :)

JerryB

Quote from: Hamish K on October 17, 2007, 04:05:46 AM
<snip> So far Bachmann has not forced people to buy expensive features they may not want. Where locomotives are DCC equipped these locos also operate on straight DC without alteration. The decoders fitted are low cost and appear to add little or nothing to the cost of the loco. The DCC and Sound versions do cost rather more but, so far at least, versions without sound are also made. ,snip.
Hamish
If you want a 1:20.3 Bachmann 3 truck Shay factory lettered for either Westside Lumber Company or Little River Lumber Co. you have to pay $100 extra for the included DCC and sound system. Informal surveys of LS train operators show that most prefer internal battery + radio control, with straight track power DC as a close second choice. The conversion to R/C means the provided DCC + sound system a person has paid for has to be removed. This is definitely forcing people to purchase  (DCC) stuff that many modelers don't want. Look for more of this as there is a 'DCC consultant' who is posting claims Bachmann Trains is fully on board with a new "standardized DCC socket" that will be in all LS locomotives. IMHO, this is just a way to enrich the DCC manufacturers and providers, not a way to satisfy market demand. We can only hope that Bachmann sees the light.

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Hamish K

Bachmann does make the large scale 3 truck Shay in some roadnames without sound. This includes painted unlettered, so one option is to decorate it yourself if you don't want the sound version.

I hope Bachmann never makes a locomotive with expensive additional features, e.g. DCC and Sound, without a less equipped version also being available. That some roadnames will only be available with the additional features, and others without, is I expect inevitable and personally I don't object to that as redecorating is possible. As my line is my own fictional creation, re-decorating is for me always required.

Hamish

PARAWULF

Hey Bach-man, Any more news on the Williams merger?