News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fixing track to board

Started by show33, December 27, 2013, 07:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

show33

What do you recommend for fixing EZ track to plywood board? Dont want to glue as I want to experiment a little, assuming nailing is best, but wanted to see what you all thought
Thanks

Len

I use low-temp 'Hot Melt' glue. It doesn't get hot enough to damage the plastic roadbed, and it's easy to pop loose with a putty knife.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

show-

Unless you are already committed to plywood, consider using extruded foam for your layout surface instead. It's much lighter if the setup has to be moved and it allows you to model below track level, things like ditches and streams. It's easy to pierce for feeders and such. You can attach things with plastic compatible construction adhesive or caulk, either of which can be moved if necessary. Just be sure to use a thin strip of the adhesive.

If you do switch to foam, be sure to get blue or pink. White Styrofoam and beadboard are bad materials for a model railroad. They lack the needed strength and are a mess to cut into.
                                                                                                         -- D

Woody Elmore

Even though I often write in this blog that clear silicone caulk will do a great job securing track, I helped my neighbor's son in law fix track with hot glue. I thought it would melt the foam underlay but it didn't.

show33

Thanks gentlemen for the responses. Think I will give the hot glue a shot.

Doneldon - thanks for the tip on the foam board. Saw a few youtube clips that showed people using that. Have the plywood set up already, but will look at the foamboard in the future.

Totally over engineered the plywood table as I do with all my projects. Used 2 x 3's because they were on sale. table is solid but way too heavy...good think I have teenage boys in the house to help me move it!

jbrock27

Before you put the track down to the plywood, you could secure some foam board to the plywood.  This way, you have the ability to carve out some ditches, change the depth of the topography to add detail to the layout.
It does not have to be the super thick stuff.
Keep Calm and Carry On

show33

Good idea.
What thickness foam do you think? Seems to be a wide range of products on the Home Depot website...what sort of price am I looking at for this purpose?

jbrock27

Depending on what region/climate your live in, will dictate the thickness available to you at stores.  I suggest 1".  I think that gives enough flexibility to shape topography.  Of course, some folks go way thicker than that. 

In fact, when I get around to rebuilding the layout with my son, my plan is to use 1/2 plywood, 2 x 3s like you did, 2 x 4s and put 1" foam board on top of the plywood. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

show33

Thanks jbrock, appreciate the info

Doneldon

Quote from: show33 on December 28, 2013, 08:47:49 AM
Totally over engineered the plywood table as I do with all my projects. Used 2 x 3's because they were on sale. table is solid but way too heavy...good think I have teenage boys in the house to help me move it!

show-

This would have been a problem in years past because teenagers grew up and left home. Now most of
them can't find a job so we have them forever. I never realized until this very minute what a good thing
having permanent children could be.
                                                           -- D