Clearance time @ Radio Shack to help with your Bachmann layout needs

Started by jbrock27, December 27, 2013, 08:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I stopped into one of my local Radio Shack stores while doing some shopping this evening and found there were many items on clearance that are useful to running your Bachmann layout.  I picked up a package of assorted terminals, a European Style terminal 12 position terminal strip, SPDT automotive flip switch and Heavy Duty DPDT toggle switch all for dirt cheap.  I had to ask the clerk what else was on clearance after I came across some of the clearance items in the rack of LEDs, resistors, switches, etc that they have, in order to get the full idea of what they have on clearance.  I do not know if this is just regional, I would suspect it is national but I thought I would pass it along. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

The "Shack" at the end of my block (eat your hearts out :D) has kept a very good clearance table near the front window all year long, for the last year. Arduino's to Zener's,  its a nice spread. I know sales are up because I have to wait in a small line each time. When I queried the staff about how obviously busy the have been the last year they pointed out the "four legged draw" topped with clearance goodies. The variety of goods catches the eye of folks passing by. And even if it isn't exactly what they need, it reminds them of what they do need, and they stop. While Im sure some suit and tie in charge of universal décor is losing his mind about it, I feel like its an excellent sales idea as it has likely kept this slow paced store open.
However, with all the cuts in the electronics components they keep making, what was seldom less than $20 visits for me, even years ago, has dwindled to $2-$10 while trying to spend all I could there. And on my last visit I found they cut three (or more) of the miniature light bulbs I use most ::) But they can order it ??? Why would I pay 3 times the price to order what I could order from another company much cheaper via phone or online? Point? I think they will eventually be even more of a "small box store" than they have become, and it may be time to try to find, and help support, your local electronics shop in much the same way we do hobby shops. What? Me worry? Yes! With the movement towards micro electronics comes the discontinuance of supplies usable without a jewelers lens and a hot pin as your soldering iron. One more push towards a throw away society, and a blow to the ability of an average person to become involved with electronics other than board swaps. One step forward? or Two steps back? I have to wonder :-\.
Hey, remember lumber yards, "real" hardware stores, and what they had to offer? You'll find a similar vibe at a "real" electronics shop, and they likely wont try and hard sell you a phone or batteries every time you walk in. Heck they might not even compile your info and add you to mail, or call lists ;)..Oh..My name?..Bob..Um..Robert...Robert Plant..Phone#?..Let me give you my girl Jenny's number, 810-867-5309...address?...211 pine street(Beavers adresss) ;) I also use 1313 Mockingbird lane if I think Ill get the grin :D.

jbrock27

I am envious you have such a well stocked store that close by.  I do find the store I frequent has great fluctuations in the colors and styles of LED bulbs and resistors they carry.  It varies from one visit there to the next :'(
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

GG1-

I use the Shack sparingly because they seem to have a really inflated opinion about what their merchandise is worth. LEDs are the worst for price. So I try to keep common items on hand and only use the Shack when I have limited needs or feel a big push to do something right away. That hasn't happened often since I retired and vowed to never be in a hurry again. This attitude has worked much better for me than for my wife. For example, we're having our family Christmas tomorrow (Sunday, 12/29) and I'm on the computer instead of assembling the rocking chairs I made for the grandkids or assembling the RR spike coat hooks for the garage entrance.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Doneldon on December 28, 2013, 06:07:07 PM
GG1-

I use the Shack sparingly because they seem to have a really inflated opinion about what their merchandise is worth. LEDs are the worst for price. So I try to keep common items on hand and only use the Shack when I have limited needs or feel a big push to do something right away. That hasn't happened often since I retired and vowed to never be in a hurry again. This attitude has worked much better for me than for my wife. For example, we're having our family Christmas tomorrow (Sunday, 12/29) and I'm on the computer instead of assembling the rocking chairs I made for the grandkids or assembling the RR spike coat hooks for the garage entrance.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

Pricey? Yes, but Ill pay it for convenience ;), an open business at the end of my block, and employing people from my local area ;) ;). I "Buy Michigan" and "Buy American" when I can too. My disappointment is fueled by a narrowing of choice in the area of a store, that is not only my reason for shopping there, but has been a staple of a famous chain since its launch. Its like Bachmann dropping all its trains. I don't buy gadgets there any more, quality. Ive always fixed gadgets with their supplies, or build something with it myself. Oh and on the quality of items not in "my section"? Well its just not what it used to be  ::) But its better than it was. :D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

M1FredQ

Speaking of LED's and Radio Shack..

In the 10 days my kids have been home from school they have managed to crash my computer and all my archives are gone.

Joey and I have been getting the WBB F-3's ready to replace the "headlite's)"to LED to brighten them up and now I can't reference where I can pick up the bulbs or what kind I need.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

M1FredQ

What LED bulbs do I use for the WBB F-3 "headlight".

Are they easy to install(I hope)

Simple is beautiful in my book!!
Thanks!!!!!

jbrock27

That's O gauge?
If so, sorry I am an HO guy, so I don't have any advice to lend.  I bet GG1 can help.
I would imagine with the bigger space to work in for O, it is easier than HO even.  For my HO applications, I calculate what the max DC voltage is my power pack will put out, subtract the volts necessary to power the LED I select, then divide by the MA (milliamp rating on the LED) and then move the decimal over 1 place to the right to get what OHM resistor I need start with to light the LED w/o burning it out.  For what I do, I need to tie the resistor to one or the other leg of the LED, depending on went I want the bulb to light, which depends on which direction the loco is traveling.  The higher I go up in OHM value on the resistor, the dimmer the LED will shine.  But all of this is relative to DC.  O works off of AC, no?  I have no experience with running trains on AC I am afraid.
Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

I have done some cobbled interior lighting with Bachmann N scale bi-level Alaskan passenger cars for a pal. But I think everything I have in O is still a bulb. Being a "runner" more than hard core train modeler, I doubt I will change over till mini bulbs are totally gone from shelves. Any LEDs have performed to their long life reputation well, keeping me from knowing if they even exist. Changing ac to dc is as simple as working in diodes or bridge rectifier large enough to handle the voltage supplied and amperage used.  I do suggest trying to work in a capacitor big enough to power it for a few seconds after power is removed. It adds to the "steady" appearance to the leds(no flicker, or dimming) going through switches or dirty track.  Z368,(our pet bull dog wanted you to know he can type "Z368" [note he has learned to use the shift key] ::)( Watches the trains too :D He is a red nose PET bull :D)  Here is a good site/page for LED ideas/guidelines http://www.jcstudiosinc.com/OGaugeLEDLighting
I love the methods used in the DYI headlight article too, actual components, built and laid out over a large schematic, a teaching genius did that ;D!

NarrowMinded

I was lucky enough to be working in a building where a Radio shack had closed, next to the dumpster were the cabinets that they keep all the resistors and other goodies, four cabinets in all, I asked the contractor if I could take them, he told me to go ahead, to my surprise they still had all the left over mixed up stock inside them :)

To put a cherry on the Sunday I sold two of the cabinets $100 bucks because I didn't have room.

NM-Jeff

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

100 ohm    im using 4.5 volt leds with a 4.5 volt supply  which is all found in the christmas stuff .    i decreases the brightness down just a little with 1oo ohms, im going to do a shack  thinking using 200 ohms or even more  and putting a 3 volt flaming led candle inside so they can stay warm  the led flickers  and orange color  great for a burnning building or even making a hotwheeled box car.  what i like about leds on the string  is that its easy to wire since they are wired in parallel so just snipped off what you need and solder wires to extend them to your power source drill a small hole in building push fro inside out and glue.   i did add covers on one building from cutting plastic black tube and directs the light down not out( works good to light a BIIL BOARD also from the ground)
what i havent tried yet is relighting passager cars with them  and adding a red led to the rear car for a tail light.  right now im relighting the train yard area with these  i allready have lights but in the inside of the buildings  i needed to add wallpacks to them so it lights other areas some.      and OSHA/ power companies with lighting rebates has made changes to the regulations on outside lighting so we all know when they talk we have to getter done.  imagination is the key that why i like to read others post and try things out myself to bring in new ideas to make everyones layout even more great.    DAve