'John Deere' loco tender too heavy to run

Started by sven44, December 29, 2013, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sven44

Recently bought collector edition of Bachmann HO 'John Deere'
train. Diesel tender is too heavy for loco to pull. Unscrewed it and found heavy metal chassis inside with hollowed out section. Why so heavy and what's it for? No wiring inside the tender, just heavy metal chassis.

rogertra

1)  Do you have a link?

2)  Diesels don't have tenders.

3)  Don't be fooled by the words "collectors edition" in this hobby they mean nothing other than a sales pitch.

Doneldon

sven-

One post in one place. Multiple posts won't get you better or quicker answers but they will annoy others on this board.

-- D

utdave

Since the John Deere is my type of collections and have looked at Bachmanns collector  F7a  with  B unit.   i never bought the bachmanns john deere set i have them with another manufacture .    the tender is a B unit  which is a dummy loco .   suggest that you buy another motorized loco and change the shell over.       once you have done that you can buy tractors thats to scale and put them on flat cars  to add to your train.     Ebay is the place to find them and they still have plenty to get  also they have box cars with john deere logos and many different locos.     i have  a 4-8-8-4 ,4-6-6-4, mikatos, f7a f7b, cabooses ,box cars,flat cars ,tankers, over 100 tractors all with the john deere  logos.  i even have a john deere dealership to trade that international harvestor tractor in  for a green one .    in life i have a 52 John Deere b Tractor that My dad and i restored before he passed away it was hes dream to own a tractor he worked when he was younger. and i have a love of all tractors another hobby i have       DAve

sven44

First, Thanx for all your replies. Haven't posted before so still getting used to the format. Last trains i dealt with were my childhood 'post-war' Lionel set which i still have. New to HO. It is a dummy diesel unit, not a tender. And, I understand that the set is a sales promotion. I still am mystified by the weight of this unit.  I can swap out the shell; but was curious about why Bachmann even made such a heavy piece. Again, thanx.

Doneldon

sven-

I imagine they used the powered loco frames for the few dummies they built because it
was cheaper to put a more expensive heavy frame in a dummy B-unit than to design,
tool, produce and inventory a less expensive frame
                                                                                -- D