increase speed on 2-6-6-2 dcc spectrum

Started by restorer, December 29, 2013, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorer

I recently received a 2-6-6-2 Spectrum dcc (no sound).  I have a Digitrax Zephyr DSC51 controller.  I like to increase the speed, as this engine runs slower than I would like.  I ran other steam engine and they ae doing fine.  Thanks for any help.   Restorer

AGSB

Is it new or used?
If used, previous owner may have set max speed to a low setting.

What DCC system are you using, is it capable of reading CV settings?

What make of decoder is it?
Look up the manual for the decoder and see what CV needs to be changed for speed and then read that decoder value to see if it has been changed.

Doneldon

resto-

Most of us run our models at unrealistically high speeds. I do it myself at times. But keep in mind that locos like your 2-6-6-2 ran very slowly.

Articulated locomotives like yours were terrifically powerful but not speedy. Conversely, fast locomotives weren't generally very powerful. By and large, small diameter wheels on steam locomotives, like under 52-inches, characterize slow but powerful engines. Larger wheels, say 68-inch diameter and up, are found on speedy ones. Locomotives with wheel diameters between those sizes tended to be all-purpose. Many were found on short lines and branch lines where they filled all roles. Partly that was due to short lines having too little money to buy special purpose engines and partly it was due to the light-weight rails used on less heavily traveled routes. The light rails couldn't support large locomotives, whether heavy haulers or heavy speedsters.
                                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

richg

If you want prototypical speed, look at the below link. Very easy to do.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rroperat.htm

Rich

utdave

I own one also     yes it runs slower compared to the 2-8-8-2  and alot of others.     personally i like running steam at lower speeds and if they have sound  even better     Dave