9Volt battery for G scale Emmett Kelly Jr. train

Started by NYBlueskies, December 29, 2013, 06:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYBlueskies

I bought my son the Bachman Emmett Kelly, Jr. Circus train for Christmas. The coal car requires a 9 Volt battery but this size battery is just a little to big to fit into the battery compartment. The connection points inside the battery compartment are not the common male female connection points I'd expect but are just metal plates for contact. The picture on the inside of the battery compartment lid shows a standard 9 volt battery like the one I'm trying to squeeze in though if it went in I don't know what it would take to get it out. The coal car was made in China.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do so this will work? We are new to model rail roading. I chose the G scale because we are members of a club with a large outdoor g scale track for the children.

Mike M

the battery is tight put it in as the picture shows as it is polarity sensitive They are very tight but that is the size used
Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,
I have learned that all 9 volt batteries are not the same size.  I was able to shop around and find slightly smaller sizes.  Some of the lesser known brand of batteries are bigger than one would suspect. I also had trouble getting some to fit in my multimeter, most major brands like energizer and such seem to fit. I also found that Tenergy Brand rechargable batteries would fit.

As Mike says the battery must go in the correct way, and be pushed down so the hatch will close and the little locking tab will hold it closed.

Cheers,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Ive experienced the battery being too long in many sizes, not just 9v. With others (AA,AAA,C,D) the issue can be compounded by the stacking in series often used with them. (Ive had Ds come too fat too)   

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Consider using a small file to widen the water port a bit to allow over-sized 9V batteries. 

Be careful with the door (hatch).  Make sure the battery is fully seated so the hatch closes with zero or near-zero force. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.