Can the 4-8-4 Union Pacific steam loco be upgraded to DCC?

Started by jjdog33, December 30, 2013, 06:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdog33

Ok, new to trains.  Bought my son the overland set which has the 4-8-4 union pacific engine.  Been seeing alot about DCC and like the sounds.  Can I make the engine I have DCC and if so how?  And if the engine can be made DCC, what else do i need to make it work?  Please include part numbers.  Thanks guys

Irbricksceo

There are a couple of things you will need to do. First of all, you will need to isolate the Motor's electrical contacts. Additionally, I don't recall if this one has a spit frame but if so, make sure they are insulated. Now, as this is a steam Locomotive it would be wise to place the decoder in the tender so you will want to run six wires between the two, either for permanent connection of with small plugs so they can be separated. The wires will be: two for the driver pickups, two for motor, and two for Lights. I don't think this has smoke but if so, It should share the lights wires or, even better if you are willing, remove it. Now, the decoder will have wires for all six so Try and find a guide for which to go where. If you can, try and add contacts to the tender, so you get better electrical connection. As for using a sound decoder, I have never installed sound Before but I do know you will need to drill holes in the floor of the tender, find a way to mount the speaker, and a few steps I forgot, sorry, I don't know much about sound installation.
Modeling NYC in N

jjdog33

sounds like I might just be better buying a DCC engine and running 2 lines, one DCC and one non

Doneldon

Quote from: jjdog33 on December 30, 2013, 08:15:29 PM
sounds like I might just be better buying a DCC engine and running 2 lines, one DCC and one non

jj-

Welcome to the hobby and this board. I know you'll find many interesting aspects of model railroading.

Yes. Converting a non-DC ready locomotive to DCC is not a job for a new modeler.
                                                                                                                                -- D

union pacific 4014

Bachmann 806 4-8-4 DCC conversion                                                                  http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=12752