News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler problems

Started by hickoryhollow, September 23, 2007, 05:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hickoryhollow

We bought additional cars to go with our On30 DRGW set and there is an height difference from the old and new cars whiches causes the cars to come uphooked.  We know how to lower the coupler by adding shims (washers) and longer screws but how do you make the coupler higher?  We only want to correct the ones that are different and not all the other cars.

peterherron

Actually, adding washers will increase, not decrease the height.  I think you should lower the high ones, not raise the low ones.  Take the truck off and see if there is a built up ridge around the center pin hole.  If there is, remove the wheels and place a piece of medium sandpaper on your work bench and turn the truck upside down and sand the ridge off to be flush with the cross piece (can't remember what it is called).  Than should lower the coupler and make the cars look more realisically "hunkered down"

I belive that is covered in Harold Minkie's writings found here and in General discussions.

Peter

peterherron

Here is Harold's web site:

hminky@pacificcoastairlinerr.com

peterherron

Tomcat

Or -go for "overshank" or "undershank" Couplers, that´s what I did:
Check out the Kadee Website, they have in fact all kinds of Couplers
to solve your problem.

Worked fine since I found the Bachmann Low Side Gondolas and Passenger Cars were out of correct Height anyway.

Kind regards, Tom

scottychaos

Quote from: peterherron on September 24, 2007, 10:45:45 AM
Actually, adding washers will increase, not decrease the height.  I think you should lower the high ones, not raise the low ones.  Take the truck off and see if there is a built up ridge around the center pin hole.  If there is, remove the wheels and place a piece of medium sandpaper on your work bench and turn the truck upside down and sand the ridge off to be flush with the cross piece (can't remember what it is called).  Than should lower the coupler and make the cars look more realisically "hunkered down"

I belive that is covered in Harold Minkie's writings found here and in General discussions.

Peter

Peter,
At first I was very confused by your statement, then I realized you were talking about raising and lowering the trucks!

I think Hickory was referring to adding washers to the couplers, not the trucks.
adding washers between the coupler box and the car body will lower the couplers.

Your method of adjusting the truck height will work too..and is good if the car body sits too high..but generally most people adjust coupler height by moving only the couplers up or down, not the whole body up or down by adjusting the trucks.

To raise a coupler without adjusting the trucks, you just have to file away some of the plastic on the body where the coupler attaches.
Or remove the top of the "coupler box" and reattach the box to the body without the "coupler box top"
or, if its a big adjustement needed, you might have to alter the coupler box, carbody and trucks. or offset couplers work too..

lots of different adjustements can be made to achieve the correct height..

Scot

peterherron

Scot,

You are right.  I just thought about lowering the carbody on the truck frame because of the appearance issue as well as coupler height.  All the cars I've lowered have been retro-fitted with center shank Kadee whisker # 148's, making the height correct.  I never thought about washers in the coupler pockets.  Excellent suggestion, thanks,

Peter