News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout switches EZ Track

Started by bernie73, December 29, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bernie73

Hello all. I'm new to this board and getting back into model rail road after a
50 year absence. I received an HO starter kit for Xmas, the Bachmann BSNF with the 38"x48" oval and EZ track(black ballast). I have purchased the EZ Track expander kit and with 2 manual turn outs and added an inside curve spur with 18" radius curve. I also bought a right hand turn out which has a powered switch, no more manuals in stock, to make a dead end spur. My controller is probably a basic Bachmann controller with two push button connections for extra wires. The turn out i bought has the red wires but with paddle ends and the green wire attached to the turn out.
My question i suppose is, do i need a separate power source to use the wires and switch, if so which one, or can i cut the paddles off and insert the bare wires into the push button connections.

Thanks for any help.

Dave B :-[
Steam lover

Jerrys HO

Bernie
Quoteor can i cut the paddles off and insert the bare wires into the push button connections.
Short answer... yes the two push tabs are A/C which will work the turnouts.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO__6_Turnouts_Instructions.pdf

Jerry

bernie73

Thank you Jerrys HO.

I thought that might be the case but wanted to check. I might have a few more stupid questions for sure.:-)

Dave b
Steam lover

bernie73

does not want to work, guess its manual time then

Dave b
Steam lover

Doneldon

Bernie-

Welcome home. It's good to have you back.

Your power pack will work just fine for your remote turnout. Connect the red wire to the AC accessory terminals on its back and push the connector into the left side of the electrical slide switch for your turnout. Then connect one end of the green wire to your turnout and the other end to the back of the electrical switch. If the turnout works backwards from what you want, just disconnect one of the connectors on the green wire, turn it over 180o, and plug it back in.

Check to make certain that your connections are all tight and that the PP is putting out power. You can use a multimeter or look for sparks when you quickly short the output.

Hunt

Quote from: bernie73 on December 30, 2013, 02:03:42 PM
does not want to work, guess its manual time then

Dave b

Did you press button?

Quote from:  Bachmann Turnout instructionsIf your turnout is equipped with switch type A (see top right of illustration), set the desired path of travel by sliding the turnout controller button left or right. To activate the switch, press and release the button quickly. PRESSING AND HOLDING THE BUTTON FOR LONGER THAN ONE SECOND WILL DAMAGE THE TURNOUT CONTROLLER MOTOR.

bernie73

Thanks for the responses.

I have tried the button several times but the switch does not move. The PP has power to-the rails as the train runs, and i have tried the switch with the power on knob in several spots. Does the train need to actually be running to do the switch. I suppose i can go down stairs and look, so what did i type that. :-[

Dave B
Steam lover

Hunt

Quote from: bernie73 on December 31, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
.... Does the train need to actually be running to do the switch....

No

The locomotive is run using DC and speed selection knob only controls the variable DC side of the power pack.

The turnout controller (electrical side switch) is connected to the fixed AC side of the power pack. If you are using a Bachmann power pack like in the instructions the AC is the" push to open, release to close" type terminals labeled ACCESSORIES 16 VAC. Double check all connections. Where the connection uses a plug be sure it is firmly pushed in.

bernie73

Quote from: Hunt on December 31, 2013, 01:51:17 PM
Quote from: bernie73 on December 31, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
.... Does the train need to actually be running to do the switch....

No

The locomotive is run using DC and speed selection knob only controls the variable DC side of the power pack.

The turnout controller (electrical side switch) is connected to the fixed AC side of the power pack. If you are using a Bachmann power pack like in the instructions the AC is the" push to open, release to close" type terminals labeled ACCESSORIES 16 VAC. Double check all connections. Where the connection uses a plug be sure it is firmly pushed in.
Ok, Thanks. I unplugged the push connections and reset them. Seems to be ok now. I also dont think i was pushing the switch far enough right or left. Seems ok now.
Thanks again all for putting up with me.
Dave B
Steam lover