Bachmann 51101 American 4-4-0 & Tender UP #119 HO BACU0216

Started by DaddyGPS, January 01, 2014, 11:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyGPS

I have this Buchmann engine, the 119. the front set of 4 wheels do not stay on the track very well. Also the rear coal car that is the power connection to the track does not seem to have enough weight for the engine looses power.

Any suggestions on how I can fix these?

Thank you.

richg

Quote from: DaddyGPS on January 01, 2014, 11:59:10 AM
I have this Buchmann engine, the 119. the front set of 4 wheels do not stay on the track very well. Also the rear coal car that is the power connection to the track does not seem to have enough weight for the engine looses power.

Any suggestions on how I can fix these?

Thank you.

Which wheels? The lead truck or the drivers?

Sounds like dirty track or wheels. I have a couple and they run very well.

Rich

Doneldon

Daddy-

Inspect the underside of your loco to make certain there aren't any pieces of anything fouling the ease of motion of your front truck. If there is nothing there and the truck moves very easily, try putting a little weight on the top of the truck, ensuring that what you add doesn't interfere with the truck's motion.

As for the tender, you can add a bit of weight inside the tender to improve tracking. Also, be sure that the trucks roll and swivel freely. Last, try cleaning your track and loco/tender wheels.
                                                                  -- D

DaddyGPS

Thank you richg and Doneldon,

The wheels that tend to not stay on the track are the front four wheels on the engine that move together. The whole wheel mount is spring loaded to the engine. Adding weight to the tender (coal car) will likely keep the contact good to the track. But how do I add weight to that car? Disassemble it?

I will clean the track and the wheels and see if I get some improvement.

richg

Doneldon

Daddy-

The only rule for how to add weight is that there aren't any rules. Well, that's not exactly true; there are a couple, like make sure it cannot move around and keep it as low in the car as possible. But there aren't any rules about what to use. Rich's idea about shot is a good one. You can also use BBs, lead sheet, pennies (the economy choice), surplus huge hardware from the coffee can in the basement (the super economy choice) or just about anything which is dense and will fit.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.