News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jackson Sharp coaches

Started by kenco, September 22, 2007, 06:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenco

Are the coaches in the White Pass & Yukon, and East Tennessee & Western North Carolina passenger Sets the same units as the Jackson Sharp coaches that are sold individually?

the Bach-man

Dear Ken,
The coaches in the sets usually have plastic railings and battery powered lights; otherwise, they're the same.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

foureyes

Unless you bought one of last year's Sam's sets.  Despite what it said on the box, no lights anywhere! <G> :-X

Oh well, I converted it to track powered LED's.  At the same time, I made about five other modifications to them.  Now to get the metal railings for my other dozen J&S cars!

Loco Bill Canelos

Dea Ken,

Here is some info on the J&S Passenger cars by Item NO, Initials, Car Number, Year first produced, and other helpful info

White Pass & Yukon
The 89 Series Cars have metal railings and track power lighting, except as noted:
89391   WP&Y   224   2001   P-Coach   White Pass & Yukon  "Lake Tutshi"   P      Track Power Lights   $75.00    Metal Railings

89391   WP&Y   226   2007   P-Coach   White Pass & Yukon  "Lake Fraser"          Track Power Lights   $75.00    metal railings has same B number lake tutshi in catalog

89392   WP&Y   209   2001   P Combine   White Pass & Yukon    Royal Mail    P      Track Power Lights   $75.00    metal railings

89393   WP&Y   203   2001   P Baggage   White Pass & Yukon    P      Not Lighted   $75.00    Metal Railings

89394   WP&Y   240   2001   P-Obs   White Pass & Yukon   "Lake Bennett"   P      Track Power Lights   $85.00    metal railings

89395   WP&Y   248   2004   P-Coach   White Pass & Yukon   "Lake Tagish"   P      Track Power Lights   $77.00    Metal Railings

The following have plastic railings and Battery power lights except as noted:

97119   WP&Y   209   1992   P Combine   White Pass & Yukon    Royal Mail   P      Battery Lights   $55.00    

97219   WP&Y   224   1992   P-Coach   White Pass & Yukon  "Lake Tutshi"   P      Battery Lights   $55.00    

97319   WP&Y   240   1992   P-Obs   White Pass & Yukon  "Lake Bennett"   P      Battery Lights   $65.00    

97419   WP&Y   203   1992   P Baggage   White Pass & Yukon    P      Not Lighted   $55.00    

Cars from Set 90059
90059   WP&Y   214   2007   P-Coach   White Pass & Yukon   "Lake Spirit" plastic railing         Not Lighted    Set Car    plastic railings Only in Set 90059 as of 2007

90059   WP&Y   240   2007   P-Obs   White Pass & Yukon   "Lake Bennett" Plas railing         Not Lighted   Set Car    plastic railings same as earlier car except has no lights.

The cars in set 90059 are not lighted as per the "The Favorite Spot" hobby shop which has an Ebay Store.  I do not have a second confirmation on this.

The info I have on the ET&WNC Cars is as follows:

89291   ET&WNC   19   2001   P-Coach   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina   P      Track power light   $80.00    Metal Railings

89292   ET&WNC   18   2001   P Combine   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina   P      Track power light   $75.00    metal railings

89293   ET&WNC   21   2001   P Baggage   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina         Not Lighted   $75.00    Metal Railings

89294   ET&WNC   10   2001   P-Obs   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina   P      Track power light   $85.00    "Azalea" metal railings

The following are the 97 series cars:  They have Battery power except as noted, and have plastic railings.

97120   ET&WNC   18   1992   P Combine   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina         Battery Lights   $55.00    
97220   ET&WNC   19   1992   P-Coach   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina         Battery Lights   $55.00    Set 90048 & seperately

97320   ET&WNC   10   1992   P-Obs   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina   P      Battery Lights   $65.00    "Azalea" Set 90048 & seperately

97420   ET&WNC   21   1992   P Baggage   Eastern Tennessee & Western North Carolina         Not Lighted   $55.00    

The above info is based on my researc so far and may or may not be totally correct,  if anyone has better info or corrections please email me, or send me a personal message.  If you are buying on EBay be sure of what you are getting!!!!!  Ask questions!!!!

Good Luck and Enjoy your Large Scale Trains!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

foureyes

Now that Bachmann has started selling the J&S coach kits again, what's the chances of getting those metal end rails as replacements?  The cars with them look really great, and make the fat yellow plastic ones look really goofy.

I'll take ten pairs!

John G

Ozark Miniatures sells Part # 88 "Coach Platform Railings for Bachmann Jackson & Sharp Coach".  See their website or various vendors that carry the line.

grumpy

I have two Bachman J&S coaches in transit from Trainworld .They are WP&Y
89094 & 89092 .From the ads they have track power lighting and metal railings..How much difference is there in detail to justify $180.00 price asked for by the other mfg.
Don

JLyans

QuoteHow much difference is there in detail to justify $180.00 price asked for by the other mfg

They are a different scale. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

grumpy

I checked out the website but they did not have a comparison .There is nothing I saw to justify an addditional $135.00 or so extra for the Accucraft coaches.In fact the purchasers of the coaches were sending them out for what I consider were repairs.
Don

Kevin Strong

You can't compare the Bachmann J&S coach to the Accucraft coach any more than you can compare Bachmann's original 1:22 freight cars to their new "Spectrum" 1:20.3 cars. They're in two completely different leagues. The fidelity to detail is top drawer on the 1:20.3 equipment, where on the older 1:22 stuff, it's far, far coarser--more of a suggestion than an accurate representation. Worth the price? Depends on what you want to get from the model.

If you're not "into" 1:20.3 as a scale (and the high level of detail the scale's followers demand), then the Bachmann cars will be just fine. They look fantastic with the Bachmann 4-6-0, and with locos from LGB, Hartland, and the Aristo/Delton C-16. I used to have a string of them myself. However, they are NOT 1:20.3, and not visually compatible with any of Bachmann's Spectrum locos with the possible exception of the small-in-stature 4-4-0 or possibly the 0-4-0. They're easily dwarfed by anything larger. Don't even think they'll look okay behind the K-27. The opposite is also true, though. The Accucraft cars will dwarf any LGB loco ever made. 1:20.3 equipment is really in its own class as far as size goes from the historic 1:22 and 1:24 offerings of years ago.

Most folks who model 1:20.3 do so because they have an interest in scale fidelity and value a high level of detail. There's a distinct reason Bachmann put so much effort into making prototypically working door latches on their new box cars. The 1:20.3 crowd demands it. Those added details cost money, so the price goes up accordingly. Those of us who value that attention to detail don't seem to mind paying for it. It's still easier (and cheaper) than scratchbuilding, and when you compare the cost of even the "expensive" equipment compared to what we were paying 25 years ago for stuff with less detail than Bachmann's inexpensive line, it's even more of a bargain.

Quote from: grumpy on January 28, 2008, 12:45:12 AM
... for what I consider were repairs.
Suffice to say, that's not a problem unique to Accucraft. But like that similar example we're all familiar with here, the cars are beautiful, and despite a few minor easily remedied glitches, well worth the purchase price.

Later,

K

zubi

Quote from: CCSII on January 27, 2008, 03:13:55 PM
Check out these pictures to see the difference:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/17/tpage/1/view/Topic/postid/5851/Default.aspx

Funny to see that the LGB coach is actually taller than Accucraft... http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/chuckn/LGB-AC1640.jpg
It is much shortened though (artificially). Hopefully they will come up with the correct length version soon! (Barry Bogs prepared the prototypes for them.) http://www.frolin.net/cwrr/pictures/20070125/index.html
I wonder how Bachmann coaches would compare but I believe they are smaller/less high than LGB. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Bruce Chandler

Quote from: zubi on January 28, 2008, 11:17:58 AM
Quote from: CCSII on January 27, 2008, 03:13:55 PM
Check out these pictures to see the difference:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/17/tpage/1/view/Topic/postid/5851/Default.aspx

Funny to see that the LGB coach is actually taller than Accucraft... http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/chuckn/LGB-AC1640.jpg
It is much shortened though (artificially). Hopefully they will come up with the correct length version soon! (Barry Bogs prepared the prototypes for them.) http://www.frolin.net/cwrr/pictures/20070125/index.html
I wonder how Bachmann coaches would compare but I believe they are smaller/less high than LGB. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

I must be missing something.   In the first picture you reference, the Accucraft Coach is clearly taller than the LGB - not the other way around as you suggest.   
Bruce

Kevin Strong

The Bachmann coaches are virtually identical in size to the LGB coaches in terms of height and width, actually the roof on the Bachmann car is just a touch taller, owing to a taller clerestory. The Bachmann coach is a bit longer, though not by much--maybe an inch or so. I used to have a photo of a passenger train on my dad's railroad consisting of three LGB coaches and a Bachmann car that I modified into a business car bringing up the rear. Naturally, it's nowhere to be found when I want to illustrate a comparison.

Later,

K

Bruce Chandler

I think that the one in the middle here is LGB, the rest are Bachmann
Bruce