News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jackson Sharp coaches

Started by kenco, September 22, 2007, 06:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zubi

Quote from: Bruce Chandler on January 28, 2008, 11:41:29 AM

I must be missing something.   In the first picture you reference, the Accucraft Coach is clearly taller than the LGB - not the other way around as you suggest.   
Bruce, what you are missing is that the rail on which the LGB coach is standing is placed about 2cm lower than the rail on which the Accucraft coach stands. Still, the roof of the LGB one is only 1.5cm lower than Accucraft. It seems like LGB coach is 0.5cm higher than Accucraft but this may be due to perspective effect. Best wishes, Zubi

Tom Lapointe

I'll second a lot of Kevin's comments regarding the detail level on the newer 1:20.3 equipment (Bachmann "Spectrum", Accucraft / AMS) vs. the earlier "Big Hauler" equipment.  I have a 4-car set of the older "Big Hauler" (1:22.5 scale) coaches; size-wise, they look OK behind an "Annie" (which is ALSO 1:22.5, although the newer versions approach the "Spectrum" detail level ;) ), or the Bachmann "Centennial" 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 (both 1:20.3, but relatively SMALL prototypes).  I just saw the new Bachmann (1:20.3) K:27 2-8-2 first-hand this past weekend; compared to most of their earlier offerings, it's HUGE! :o  I also saw the AMS (plastic) 1:20.3 "wood" coaches this weekend for the first time; incredibly detailed trucks & interiors (even fantastic detail on the seat armrests! :o ), vs. the solid-plastic side frames & "1-piece" floor & "suggested" ;) seats of the Bachmann "Big Hauler" J&S cars. They're also comparably HUGE & will look FANTASTIC behind the new K27. ;D  Bottom line - you get what you pay for! ;)

Tom

Kevin Strong

Zubi, that's the camera angle. I've seen the Accucraft coach in person. I've built two 1:20 passenger cars. I've modified LGB and Bachmann coaches. Trust me--they're smaller. MUCH smaller.

Further down on that MLS thread is this photo:

Granted, not an LGB coach, but an Aristo-Craft heavyweight. Still, given that Aristo's stuff is nominally the same height and width as LGB's, it gives you a good idea of the size of the Accucraft stuff.

Later,

K

zubi

Kevin, thanks for the comments. Of course this can be the camera angle and perspective effect. I mentioned this as I think that LGB coach windows are substantially oversize for 1:22.5. I have never compared them with plans but I remember an article in GR. Given that LGB often used smaller scale ratio for height I would not be surprised if it worked out to 1:20. Of course LGB cars are much shorter but that is another story. Anyway, if you are convinced this is due to camera distortion, that explains it. Best wishes, Zubi

grumpy

You guys have lost me with your discussion about camera angle ,height of rails , true scale etc. My Bachman J&S coaches arrived yesterday . I hooked the up behind my Bachman 2-6-0  Mogul and to me they look fantastic.I won't be able to put them on outdoor track until April - I have 4'0 of snow in the backyard and it is -32 degrees outside.

zubi

Grumpy, I am glad that you like the combination - this is most important! And I am sure they look fantastic together (this combination may actually have somewhat more standard gauge feel to it). Please show us some photos, especially if you are going to run in 4 feet of snow :)!!! Best wishes from sunny Tokyo, Zubi