News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann F7A

Started by Riptrack, January 01, 2014, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riptrack

Anyone reading this I hope you can answer this question for me? I have a Intermountian set of F3A & B that I would like to get another F unit to make a ABA set with. I was thinking about getting a Bachmann F7A to use in the mix but unsure if that loco will run with the Intermountain ones? Will either the new model with the DDC installed or the early "Bachmann Plus" version work?? Also note that I do not use DCC so doing a speed table change on the board is something I can't do at the moment.
                                            Thanks for any help :D
If someone comes up to you and says,..."Smile....Your On Candid Camera!!"......You just got punked at your model railroad club!!

Mike C

"Usually" mixing brands doesn't work well. They probably have different gearing. You could look at spookshow.net in his loco handbook to find out more about both brands. But that probably still won't help with you're original question.   If you do get one and the speeds are at least kind of close they should work OK together....Mike

brokemoto

I took out a few locomotives and tried it, in the configuration that you specified.  I used a A-B pair of IM B&O F-7s, one of the new issue DCC equipped F-7As and one of the old SPECTRUM NYC F-7As.  I have four A-B pairs of the PLUS and a stray B-unit.  Except for the stray B unit, the gears on all of the PLUS units have cracked, rendering them inoperable.  NWSL makes some gear/axle sets to replace these, and they are still available.  As I am the original purchaser of these locomotives, the Bachmann Limited Lifetime Warranty should still apply.  I am debating whether to send them back to B-mann with the fifteen bananas apiece for replacement or go with the NWSL.  I am not sure if the cost is still fifteen dollars.  Perhaps Mister B-mann can provide some enlightenment on this.

I would stay away from the PLUS; the gears will crack.

My first trial with these was with the A-B IM pair and the recent issue DCC equipped F-7A unit.  The Bachperssonn ran so much faster than the IMs.  Thus, I consider the results unsatisfactory and would state that you could not operate the recent issue with the IMs.

The second trial was with the IM A-B pair and an old SPECTRUM F-7A.  The result was much better.  While the throttle response of the IM and B-mann was noticeably different, you would get away with using an old SPECTRUM A unit with your IM A-B pair.  It would not be the best, but you would get away with it.

If you add DCC to the IMs, you should use a new issue B-mann with them, as the B-mann already has DCC.

There are many of the old SPECTRUM A-B pairs out there.  You will see them at shows and at stores as NOS.  I have never seen them sold as anything but an A-B pair in one box.  I would suspect that their price might drop, as the newer issue are very good.  They are better than the old SPECTRUM.  The  newer issue are available in single units.