News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GG1, E44

Started by e44e33, January 06, 2014, 06:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e44e33

So Bachmann is coming out with a GG1.  Congrats.  When will we see an E44?  You already have the frame and trucks and most of the body in the E33.

Bucksco

No plans at the moment. Honestly the E33 wasn't the hottest selling loco as evidenced by the fact that it has not been reissued...

Reinhard S

Hi.

The Spectrum E33 locomotives were very nice units.  I run the N&W and Virginian version units in consist.  A Sound Value re-issue of these models would be a pleasant surprise.

All the best.

Reinhard

jward

having witnessed the real e33s, if you want sound, turn on your vacuum cleaner when you run them, that's what they sounded like.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

keystonefarm

I believe the E-44 would  outsell the E-33. 69 units built total 66 for PRR and 3 for Muskegum Electric. PRR/PC/CR/Amtrak roadnames. Existing E-33 frame correct length, existing trucks correct. Existing E-33 mechanism could be used so lower tooling/setup costs. Being a PRR prototype means multiple purchases by PRR modelers.  I think you would be surprised. --- Ken McCorry

electrical whiz kid

Sad to have seen a lot of these PRR "motors" scrapped; totally unnecessary in my opinion; with proper maintenance and replacement of electricals as  they [got] older and updatable with contemporary parts available.  Frames and superstructure could last a hundred years.  Same with New Haven E-series equipment.  McGuinnis was an idiot as well as a crook!!!!
Rich C.

barlojo1

Mr Bachmann, I know the E-33 was not the best seller as far as models go, but with just 10 original locos built for the Virginian and then second hand status for the rest of the roads they plied, I can understand that.

66 locos for the PRR as the mainstay of freight service on Penn electric lines is another story altogether.

Check out sales of brass E-44's on Ebay, you will see what I am referring to. I purchased an Alco Models E-44 in 1972 and another from Ebay 3 years ago. I keep looking for another bargain. I also have 2 Bachmann New Haven E-33's and would purchase E-44's.

I have pictures I took of PC E-33's only because they were among E-44's and GG-1's in Kearny, NJ.

John B

pequeajim

I agree that the E44 would clearly outsell the E33.  The biggest reason is that the PRR is so widely modeled and the mistake was releasing an E series loco that was never used by the PRR.  THe E44 was, however and I believe that this would contribute to more sales?

The E44 in the PA Railroad museum in Strasburg is a thing of beauty!

electrical whiz kid

What was the problem with what Bachmann did?  The New Haven EP-4 was a lifesaver in my opinion; as one of the more intelligent moves the New Haven receivers made.
Other question:  What is the difference between an E-33 and an E-44?  Personally, I always liked the Pennsylvania E-44s-thought they were a handsome beast!
If I wasn't so lazy, I would probably do catenary, but guess what?...
Rich C.

pequeajim

There were no PRR E33s, and that's why I am looking for a 44.

Unfortunately... :(

ebtnut

Jim:  I think you meant there were no PRR E-33's.  They only came to ex-PRR rails after Conrail.

pequeajim

Yes, that is exactly what I meant, thanks :)

electrical whiz kid

Could someone please tell me the differences between a New Haven EF-4 and an E-44?

Rich C.

Len

The VGN class EL-C 3,300hp electrics were sold to NH which called them EF-4 in their classification system. When NH was sucked into Penn Central, PC changed the classification again, this time E-33.

While based on the E-33, the E-44 4,400hp electrics came along later and were built specifically for the PRR. Aside from the hp difference, they were bigger than the E-33 and had a different pantograph set up.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len;
Yeah, I knew about the Faivley pans; quite frankly, I like to old G.E. pans better.   
You mentioned 4400HP.  Did you know that the New Haven EF-3s could suck down enough juice to raise 9,000HP on a start?  Bet that carbon shoe was smoking hot!!!  I always said that those beasts would have still been around today, if it weren't for old Patty and his team of crooks.

Rich C.