Dewitt Clinton or similar "look" suggestions, please

Started by WriterGal, January 07, 2014, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WriterGal

I have seen several 00641 HO Dewitt Clinton Sets on ebay and like the different style and "old fashioned" look but have read they are too light to run well. Are there any other HO trains that have a different old fashioned look anything like the 00641 HO Dewitt Clinton that DO run well? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  :)
WriterGal

Doneldon

WG-

Not really. The very nature of the tiny locos and cars from the earliest days of railroading renders models, or at least models in smaller scales like HO or N, way too light for consistent, reliable operation. Bachmann has made, I think, three tiny trains sets and they all suffer from operational problems due to their diminutive size.

I certainly agree that the small sets are charming but I think you'd need to go to a larger scale, at least S (64:1) and probably O (48:1) to get reliable running. I don't think such models are available in those scales and, they would be much, much more expensive in the larger scales. Equipment goes up in cost as the scales get larger generally, and these models would jump a lot because a manufacturer couldn't depend on selling very many copies. There are very few S-scale modelers and no where near as many O-scale modelers as HO-scale modelers. And the word I've heard is that Bachmann has found that making the HO tiny trains is something other than lucrative.

There's a funky charm to much of the large scale equipment that might appeal to you. Curiously, the funkiest models are among the least expensive as long as you stay away from LGB. Of course, large scale requires quite a lot of space.
                                                                                                                      -- D

richg

These little locos have to be run quite fast. The metal gear on the motor tends to strip a few teeth off the first plastic with a sudden start gear if the motor itself does not completely fail. Also, the pickups are not the greatest. They are mostly display items.
I have had a couple.

Rich

WriterGal

Rich, thank you for your answer. I am trying to find trains from the early days of railroading and thought these would be appropriate. But after reading about them, I can see they would not be a good choice. I will keep looking for other "railroad early years" style trains. Thanks again.  :)
WriterGal

richg

In HO scale there is a Civil War, 4-4-0 General loco good for 1855/1865. Some rolling stock is available for that era but not Bachmann.
think Bachmann had some 1870s rolling stock at one time.
Bachmann has a 1870s/1880s loco that has tender drive and can be improved. One fellow here has done it.
A brass company sells the HO 4-4-0 Lincoln Funeral train but it will cost you arm, leg, first born. Not sure it is available anymore.

Rich

WriterGal

Doneldon, thank you for your information. I agree, some of the larger scale trains are really interesting, but based on the amount of space I have to work with and wanting to make the most use of it, I need to stick with HO size. I will keep looking for "early years railroad" trains and go from there. I am very pleased with my Liberty Bell set and hope I can find something else in the historical venue as time goes by. Thanks again.  :)
WriterGal

WriterGal

Hi again Rich. Thanks for the additional info. I hate to admit it, but I don't know what you mean by "rolling stock". I am totally new to this (although have wanted to do it "forever").  :)
WriterGal

richg

Quote from: WriterGal on January 07, 2014, 04:14:55 PM
Hi again Rich. Thanks for the additional info. I hate to admit it, but I don't know what you mean by "rolling stock". I am totally new to this (although have wanted to do it "forever").  :)

Boxcars, flatcars, passenger cars etc. Anything pulled by the loco.

Rich

WriterGal

Ah, thanks, Rich. I suppose I should have realized that. :)  Y'all, (yes, I say y'all, being from south Texas, ;) ) I don't suppose there is any way of adding weight to the small trains such as the De Witt or others and possibly a different motor to the locomotive to make them work correctly is there?
WriterGal

richg

i tried for 1890 to 1900. The MDC circus train is to try to simulate a train of that era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_West_Shows

The Camel is from 1850's and one survived on the B&O until about 1898 or so. It was kept in the yard in Baltimore fro switching work.

I do know if you have the time, you can find a tremendous amount of early rail info with Google searches. I have a few hundred Internet links and many, many photos of locos and rolling stock plus a large amount of history.

Rich

richg

Quote from: WriterGal on January 07, 2014, 04:34:36 PM
Ah, thanks, Rich. I suppose I should have realized that. :)  Y'all, (yes, I say y'all, being from south Texas, ;) ) I don't suppose there is any way of adding weight to the small trains such as the De Witt or others and possibly a different motor to the locomotive to make them work correctly is there?

Oldest daughter lives in Copperas Cove, TX, right next to Ft Hood. Been there three times, Alamo, three times. Love the river walk.
Rode the steam train not far from Austin back about 1995.

Rich

WriterGal

Rich, thanks so much for the picture and info on the early trains. I am retired now and so have more time to do google searches, etc. "IF" you have any google (or other) links handy, I'd love to have them. I reckon I'll just do a broad google search and see what I can start learning. I know I have a TON to learn.  :)

Ah, I love the San Antonio riverwalk too, and of course, the Alamo. (I'm a native born Texan.)

Thanks again
WriterGal

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: richg on January 07, 2014, 04:35:45 PM
i tried for 1890 to 1900. The MDC circus train is to try to simulate a train of that era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_West_Shows

The Camel is from 1850's and one survived on the B&O until about 1898 or so. It was kept in the yard in Baltimore fro switching work.

I do know if you have the time, you can find a tremendous amount of early rail info with Google searches. I have a few hundred Internet links and many, many photos of locos and rolling stock plus a large amount of history.

Rich

Hey Rich, one still exsists. It was operation up until the 80s according to a B&O Museum booklet I found online. (it was produced in the 70s I think)

(pic taken by me this past summer)

As for the small Dewitt Clinton, I've had no problems with mine, though the Lafeyette can only pull 2 of its three coaches, I got em mostly for display anyway.

The Layfayette

The John Bull

Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

BaltoOhioRRfan

Also if you want to get some ideas of old time stuff, look at my album located on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.558713784162094.1073741827.558701444163328&type=3 I have a lot of 1880s equipment and should give you an idea on whats out there floating around.

P.S. thats not my personal fb, its a page i created just for my collection.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

WriterGal

Hi BaltoOhioRRfan. Thanks for the information and pictures. I will definitely check out your FB album. You said you didn't really have trouble with your De Witt but I noticed you labeled it a John Bull in your pictures. Is your top picture the one you said works okay for you?   :)
WriterGal